Argon blinks 3 times green and 1 white on battery

@Kahin, I have not tried it isolated on a breadboard with just a battery; if you think it will provide value, I can do so. But, I assume it will yield no better result than circuit that provides the 3.3v supply on the Crickit board.

Thank you for replicating my findings with the WiFi antenna. Perhaps this helps narrow down the issue.

Welcome to bizarro world, population: Argon.

This video shows connecting a LiPo battery to the GND and Li+ terminals, and the resulting reset loop that weā€™ve come to know and love. Then, I connect the same battery to the normal JST connectorā€¦ and it works!
Argon LiPo Battery Test

As far as I can tell with my DMM and the particle Datasheet, the JST positive connection and the Li+ connection are the same (and ground is ground). So, this makes no sense.

Special note: the trick where I power-on without the WiFi antenna connected, and then connect itā€¦ does not always work when running off this battery (it worked 2 out of 4 tries; when it didnā€™t work, it looked like it almost connected before going into the reset loop.

FYI-- Iā€™m seeing the same issue with:

Blinking green with a short flash of white, repeat.

Plugging in a usb cord, with the Feather powered by 5V, allows the Argon to connect to the cloud and breathe cyan. I can then disconnect the USB cable and it remains connected for a while.

Particle_Argon_Error_Adafruit_Crickit_op2

Iā€™m seeing this same issue when using external 3.3v power. I tried connecting EN pin to GND directly and with 1K resistor neither worked.

Having the same problem. Works great on USB, but will not power up on battery. Not a battery voltage or current issue. After having a problem and reading this thread, I tried using several batteries including a 5200mAh high output Lipo I use for a drone (this battery can output 50 amps). Itā€™s also fully charged (4.2 volts). Thereā€™s something wrong.

I have several 2 Argons, 2 Photons, and have been using these in systems for a few years, so Iā€™m not a total newb. Iā€™ve got nothing connected to this Argon, just a battery connected to Li+ and Gnd.

My other Photon systems are in production so I canā€™t experiment with them. But, I know that my other Argon works on battery but itā€™s also running an older version of firmware. So, Iā€™m going to try to downgrade the firmware on the Argon Iā€™m having this problem with and see if thatā€™s the issue.

It seems the Argon basically wonā€™t function on a solderless breadboard. The slightest impedance and it wonā€™t power up from the Li+ pin. I thought maybe it was the Lipo charging circuit, so I also tried SWD interface with the same results. Same issue with trying to power it via a NPN transistor (which is of course how we were planning on powering the device). Basically, this thing doesnā€™t function from a battery. Itā€™s designed to be power ONLY via USB, with the battery as a backup (as long is itā€™s directly connected to the battery terminal).

I have a v1.0 Argon, maybe thereā€™s been a hardware update that fixes this?

I believe the board is flaky (not sure if itā€™s all Argon boards or just this one). I tried to power it directly from the 3V3 pin via a 3.3v 800mA voltage regulator LM1117 (with decoupling capacitors and EN tied to GND) with the same results (3 green blinks and 1 white).

I have another Argon on the way as well as two Borons, this should isolate things.

It has been a long time ago, in the end support could not figure out the problem neither and they just sent a replacement. Sorry for not being able to help further :man_shrugging:

Did the replacement work?

Yeah! as it is suppose to be. So i think it was just bad luck that some units have such issue

I have the exact same problem! As I also have three Xenons this is a pretty big problem with my current project. Whatā€™s the route to request a replacement? Any help much appreciated.

The last sale date for Xenons was April 30, 2020. The warranty doesnā€™t apply to deprecated devices, and would have long expired anyway. Once it was deprecated, all remaining units were sold and there is no stock of replacement Xenons. And even if you did find a replacement, there is no way to activate it, except for offline use.

Thanks for your quick reply. It seems that I missed the emailā€¦

Thatā€™s a big fail!