Adhoc mode, broadcast packets and promiscuous mode

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows if the device supports:

• wifi adhoc mode
  • promiscous mode flag, for receiving all overheard wifi frames
  • sending and receiving raw wifi frames, raw IP packets, or UDP broadcast packets

I’ve some wifi mesh protocols which are usually implemented on openwrt which needs to be ported, and wonder about the limitations of the device.

Thanks!

Hi yongkimleng!

I think I can answer a few of these:

• wifi adhoc mode

I think the CC3000 cannot act as an Access Point, so it can’t do strict Ad-hoc mode, but if you can setup a wifi access point on something else it should be able to connect to that.

• promiscous mode flag, for receiving all overheard wifi frames

• sending and receiving raw wifi frames, raw IP packets, or UDP broadcast packets

I didn’t see clear references to a promiscuous mode for the CC3000. I think there is some very low-level version of this used by Smart Config, but I don’t think it’s exposed. As for what is supported in frames, and packets, TI has some good documentation here:

SimpleLink API Reference Manual: Socket API

Sorry I wasn’t able to provide more info, I hope that helps! Meshing protocols on the Spark Core would be awesome, I’ll keep my eyes open for anything helpful I see on the subject.

Thanks,
David

Thanks dave! Yeah a few key points about meshability:

• no infrastructure mode: as there will never be an access point.
  • channel, ssid, keys would be preset
  • ability to send broadcast packets, without this all communication would be point to point