XBEE Footprint?

I hope that this is not a duplicate or stupid question, but is it possible to map the spark device to an XBEE format so it would fit onto an Arduino shield that accepts those type of devices and be pin-compatible?

Would you rather have that, or a board that allows you to plug arduino shields into the spark core? Since the spark core is already arduino compatible with wifi, it can do just about anything a standard arduino can do in theory. They are going to release such a thing as well, the Shield shield. Unless you are looking to have TWO arduinos in a small form factor with wifi… but I’m guessing that’s an extreme case.

That’s a good question @BDub. I guess it would depend on how much flexibility and control we have of the Sparkcore. If you look at other modules like the Microchip RN171XV - it has a full TCP stack, but doesn’t give you full control over how it’s used, so you have to put a micro-controller with it. I assume we can put our own sketches in on the Sparkcore?
I have requirements for a somewhat large project, that I might want to use something like a Raspberry Pi for. I know the Sparkcore is not necessarily the first way to get wifi you would think of with the Raspberry Pi, but it would be a cheap way, and an embedded way, and probably the most power-efficient way. In that scenario, if I were using a shield for that platform, an XBEE footprint might be just what the doctor ordered. I may not even have to write the device driver for it, but that platform lets me write my software on more of an app level, and provides me with much more (out of the box, so-to-speak).

I realize this is an old post but it’s new to me! haha,

Anyway, I was recently in need of a SparkCore in the Xbee, or “Bee” format as I call it, so I went ahead and made a simple breakout board. I have just ordered 3 of them from my PCB house. I’d be willing to sell them as a kit (with the 2mm pitch headers and the 0.1" headers included) or as a soldered breakout if there was enough interest.

I just ran a quick cost analysis. Kits (unsoldered) could be had for $6/each which includes shipping. Finished breakouts could be had for $8/each which also includes shipping.

@harrisonhjones - I would pick up a few of those (finished, preferably).

Ken

@Soulhuntre Good to hear.

As soon as I get the PCBs in and test them I will revisit this. If anyone else is interested please let me know.

Got the Xbee to SparkCore board in, soldered, and WORKING!

It powers up and the serial lines (Serial1) work. Haven’t tested the rest of the pins but I’m optimistic.

What do people think? Anything I should try specifically with them?

Excellent. I want some because I want to begin testing XBee radios with the Spark Core.

Can you post more pictures of the XBee and how it fits with the Spark Core. It’s hard to tell whats under the Spark Core. It looks like a Sparkfun programming shield and an XBee in the middle but I have never seen a XBee in Black before. Or maybe thats the headers.

How long would it take to have more ran with the headers installed?

@BDub @timb

This board doesn’t connect a SparkCore to an xbee, it lets you connect a sparkcore to a board which normally holds an xbee. It converts the SparkCore’s pin layout to an Xbee’s layout.

I don’t think it would be too difficult to modify the design to do what you are looking for. Keeping with the same board shape the xbee and the sparkcore would be “facing” in opposite directions. Would this work for you?

Ok, I got it wrong. I would like to see a board that would connect the XBee directly to the Spark Core but I’m not sure if that would be bad considering some of the XBee’s operate on the same frequency as the CC3000.

Yes, unfortunately some xbees also operate at 2.4GHz. If you are still interested I’d be willing to throw together a board in the next day or so. How about the sparkcore right next to the xbee on the same side of the PCB. It’ll be wider but they won’t be right on top of each other. How do you plan on powering the board? Should I add a power jack and regulator? It will take a little bit of time for the boards to come in though.

Lets let a few others chime in on this and see what their thoughts are. I certianly think a XBee breakout that attaches directly to the Spark Core would be desired by some.

I got my Xbee Pro 900 HP radios in.

I think a Small Side By Side board would be good.

It would be nice to have a 5v to 3.3v regulator that was able to handle half an amp to power the higher power XBee radios that pull up to 150ma at 3.3v like the ones that I have. I can’t power the 900 HP directly from the Spark Core because it can not supply the 150ma of current. .

Let me know what you think.

Cool! As you design this board, try to keep the two antennas as far away from each other as you can; a little space will go a long way :-0

Sorry about the lack of response. I’l get right on the side by side board as soon as I finish some things up this week. I’ll create a new post later this week

1 Like

Ok. So what would everyone like on a Xbee to SparkCore board? I originally planned on just connecting the RX and TX lines. Would people like additionally lines connected?

I’m not new to this to know what else to recommend to connect.

Hopefully somebody else could add some recommendations.