Using Raspberry Pi Zero W is compatible?

I just saw the announcement of the new Raspberry Pi Zero W ( https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero-w-joins-family )

I was wondering if it would be compatible with the current beta out of the box ? I didn’t give a try to Raspberry yet, but this new card might be the trigger :smile:

4 Likes

I probably read somewhere about the beta running on a Pi Zero + wifi dongle so it should work on the Zero W as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow. The Raspberry Pi Zero W looks amazing. I know what I’ll be buying next from Adafruit (once they are back in stock).

I have used Particle on Pi Zero before, and I expect it to work pretty well on the Zero W.

2 Likes

I have yet to try running Particle on it, but the Zero W itself was up and running in a couple of minutes, only using the power cable :smile:

1 Like

@Moors7 you have one already? Lucky. I’m anxiously waiting for Adafruit to restock because they have the fastest shipping and accept bitcoin.

Having recently looked for the regular Zero, I knew they’d be out of stock quickly, and maybe for a while. That’s why I ordered one as soon as I knew it existed. Ordered/shipped yesterday, arrived today :smile:

4 Likes

This is great.
It is something that I must to try next. :smiley:

1 Like

All the best toys arrive when I’m between jobs.

1 Like

This one is priced very decently though :smile:

1 Like

I got my Raspberry Pi Zero W today.

After an hour of setup (soldering, flashing the sd card, using an hdmi monitor and keyboard to enable SSH, configuring the pi to my preferences, and installing particle-agent), I am now happily tinkering away with my Pi Zero W.

The installation was successful and Particle is running well on my Pi Zero W. I am able to do the same things I can do with my Pi 3.

5 Likes

Did you get the on-board LED to light with tinker? I got the particle agent installed with no problems but no on-board Blinky. I have some photons but this is my first time connecting a pi to the particle cloud.

Yes, the onboard Raspberry Pi LED is accessible on pin D7.

void setup()
{
pinMode(D7, OUTPUT);
}

void loop()
{
 digitalWrite(D7, HIGH);
 delay(250);
 digitalWrite(D7, LOW);
 delay(250);
}

Thanks, I got it working. Needed to apt-get upgrade and then it started behaving.

If you're using Jessie, you can do it fully headless. You can place a file called 'ssh' in the root of the card, and well as a wpa_supplicant.conf file with

network={
    ssid="your-network-ssid-name"
    psk="your-network-password"
}

And you should be good to go. At least, that worked for me :smile:

2 Likes

I set up my wifi this way by directly editing the sd card, but I was unaware that SSH could be enabled this way.

I am using Raspbian Jessie Lite, released in March 2017. They now have SSH disabled by default which is annoying.

Ultimately it would be best if there was a utility for setting up a SD card properly (set up Wi-Fi, install particle-agent, change hostname, change password, enable SSH, etc). I think @jvanier was thinking about this, incorporating it into particle-cli perhaps.

2 Likes

I documented this in the Raspberry Pi getting started guide - Headless Wi-Fi setup for now

1 Like

I documented this over on my blog and on Hackster. There are few more things that need to be added to the Headless Wi-Fi setup on the Particle Docs.

@jvanier, I’ve just whipped up a script that automates the headless setup process.

It only works on Linux because only Linux can mount the Raspberry Pi partition.

I tested it with a freshly flashed SD card and my Pi 3 and it worked perfectly.

The incredible @nrobinson2000 strikes again!

I think the boot partition can be mounted on Windows and macOS since it’s FAT so you can create the ssh and wpa_supplicant.conf on any OS. I’ll check on a different machine.

2 Likes

wpa_supplicant.conf is on the Linux partition in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf So without mounting the linux partition you would only be able to enable ssh but not setup wifi. Pretty useless if you ask me. This is one of those times when I wish every OS supported linux filesystems.