USB error in CLI

I just got a new Argon and set it up using the iOS app. Great experience!

I then installed the workbench on Win10 and tried to use USB commands in the CLI and immediately hit some errors. The problem seems pretty basic, but I couldn't find any answers in the forums.

Serial commands seem to work just fine. But USB commands do not. For example:

PS C:\Code\Particle\Test01> particle serial list
Found 1 device connected via serial:
COM3 - Argon
PS C:\Code\Particle\Test01> particle usb list
Unable to open USB device: LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND

The device is obviously connected over USB or serial wouldn't function. And it shows up fine in Device Manager (as "Argon Control Interface"). And I tried running VSCode as administrator to make sure I wasn't hitting an access violation of some kind. No dice.

Does anyone know why USB commands would not work in the CLI even though serial commands seem to work just fine?

Fwiw, this is the output when I run the usb list command in verbose mode:

Unable to open USB device: LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND
VError: Unable to open USB device: LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND
at wrapUsbError (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-usb\lib\usb-device-node.js:39:10)
at _promise.default (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-usb\lib\usb-device-node.js:64:23)
at new Promise ()
at new F (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\core-js\library\modules_export.js:36:28)
at UsbDevice.open (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-usb\lib\usb-device-node.js:60:12)
at Argon.open (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-usb\lib\device-base.js:167:22)
at when.resolve.then (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-cli\dist\cmd\usb-util.js:62:45)
at tryCatchReject (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\when\lib\makePromise.js:845:30)
at runContinuation1 (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\when\lib\makePromise.js:804:4)
at Fulfilled.when (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\when\lib\makePromise.js:592:4)
caused by: Error: LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND
at Device.usb.Device.open (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\usb\usb.js:34:7)
at _promise.default (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-usb\lib\usb-device-node.js:62:19)
at new Promise ()
at new F (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\core-js\library\modules_export.js:36:28)
at UsbDevice.open (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-usb\lib\usb-device-node.js:60:12)
at Argon.open (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-usb\lib\device-base.js:167:22)
at when.resolve.then (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\particle-cli\dist\cmd\usb-util.js:62:45)
at tryCatchReject (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\when\lib\makePromise.js:845:30)
at runContinuation1 (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\when\lib\makePromise.js:804:4)
at Fulfilled.when (C:\Users\redacted\AppData\Local\particle\node_modules\when\lib\makePromise.js:592:4)

Can you post a screengrab from your DevMgr with the device being in DFU Mode?
It appears something went wrong during driver installation.
The most widely used DFU driver for Windows is libusbK which should feature its own device branch in DevMgr

You could try reinstalling the drivers with the Particle driver pack that comes with the Windows CLI Installer or download zadig and use that to install the libusbK drivers (the Particle docs suggest WinUSB but I experienced some issues in the past hence I stuck with libusbK).

1 Like

I reinstalled the CLI (and ran setup as admin) using the link you provided instead of the workbench one, and now it’s working fine. Thanks!

1 Like