Upgraded mac iOS to 10.15.5 lost serial ports

I upgraded my macbook pro and now I can’t use the serial port

@harley What happens when you try? What errors do you get?

1 Like

bash-3.2$ particle serial list

! The serialport dependency is missing or invalid.

! Please reinstall: https://docs.particle.io/tutorials/developer-tools/cli/#installing

Could not locate the bindings file. Tried:

→ /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/build/bindings.node

→ /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/build/Debug/bindings.node

→ /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/build/Release/bindings.node

→ /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/out/Debug/bindings.node

→ /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/Debug/bindings.node

→ /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/out/Release/bindings.node

→ /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/Release/bindings.node

→ /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/build/default/bindings.node

→ /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/compiled/12.16.1/darwin/x64/bindings.node

→ /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/addon-build/release/install-root/bindings.node

→ /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/addon-build/debug/install-root/bindings.node

→ /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/addon-build/default/install-root/bindings.node

→ /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/node_modules/@serialport/bindings/lib/binding/node-v72-darwin-x64/bindings.node

Have you tried reinstalling?

First, delete the ~/.particle directory:

$ rm -rf ~/.particle

Next, run the installation script again:

$ bash <(curl -sL https://particle.io/install-cli)

It got worse: now I can't even login
bash-3.2$ particle login

! Error in particle-cli:

! Cannot find module 'lodash'

Require stack:

• /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/dist/lib/has-supported-node.js

• /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/node_modules/particle-cli/dist/index.js

• /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/[eval]

! See /Users/harleyfrazee/.particle/error.log for more info.

bash-3.2$

Interesting. Could you try reinstalling with debug output enabled?

rm -rf ~/.particle/node_modules
export GODE_DEBUG=true
bash <(curl -sL https://particle.io/install-cli)

I don’t know what I’ve done, but now after a npm install of particle CLI and I type particle login I get

Harleys-MacBook-Pro:save harleyfrazee$ particle-cli

-bash: particle-cli: command not found
Harleys-MacBook-Pro:save harleyfrazee$ particle login
! Error in particle-cli:
! Cannot find module ‘particle-cli’
Require stack:

Using a version of particle-cli installed with npm will interfere with particle-cli installed with the script.

Please run this command to find how many versions of particle you have on your system:

which -a particle

In your case, anything other than /Users/harleyfrazee/bin/particle was likely installed with npm.

Uninstall the global particle-cli with:

sudo npm uninstall -g --unsafe-perm particle-cli

Reload your terminal, and then run the commands from my last reply to reinstall particle CLI with the script with debug enabled.

when I run rm -rf ~/.particle I get a lot of messages saying Directory not empty along with a lot of Permission denied. Upgrading to Catelina required KSH. Could that be causing the problem? I thought rm -rf would force a file to be assessable and remote it even if it wasn’t empty

HELP!!!! I'm totally lost. Now, when I enter "particle"

I get

! Error in particle-cli:
! Cannot find module 'particle-cli'
Require stack:

I can't seem to move ahead and I have product deliveries. Is there a way to cleanup the system and start again?

Hey.... Do I have another choice. All I use Particle on the MAC for is to do "particle -flash --usb firmware.bin" and "particle serial monitor". Is there a simplier application?