Update Particle Electron to a specific firmware version

Hello,

I want to update a new purchased Electron that comes with the firmware version 0.4.8 to 0.6.4 ( I haven’t tested 0.7.0 yet). Is it possible?

I’m using the command particle update, but it updates the version to 0.7.0 in any case, and seems impossible to change the target version to an old one.

Thank you

You can download the respective system binaries and flash them via particle flash --usb

1 Like

Yes, you can do this using the following procedure:

If you have an old Electron (0.5.2 or earlier)

If your devices have a system firmware version 0.5.2 or earlier (such as 0.4.8) you need to do the upgrade in two steps.

First download from the 0.5.5 release page:

• system-part1-0.5.5-electron.bin
  • system-part2-0.5.5-electron.bin.

Put the Electron in DFU mode (blinking yellow) by holding down RESET and MODE, releasing RESET and continuing to hold down MODE while the main LED blinks magenta until it blinks yellow, then release.

Then with the Electron connected by USB:

particle flash --usb system-part1-0.5.5-electron.bin
particle flash --usb system-part2-0.5.5-electron.bin

This step is necessary because 0.5.2 and earlier only have two system parts and you must upgrade to either 0.5.3, 0.5.4, or 0.5.5 first to be able to load 0.6.0 or later.

If you already have 0.5.3 or later

Download from the 0.6.4 release page:

• system-part2-0.6.4-electron.bin
  • system-part2-0.6.4-electron.bin
  • system-part3-0.6.4-electron.bin.

Put the Electron in DFU mode (blinking yellow) by holding down RESET and MODE, releasing RESET and continuing to hold down MODE while the main LED blinks magenta until it blinks yellow, then release.

Then with the Electron connected by USB:

particle flash --usb system-part1-0.6.4-electron.bin
particle flash --usb system-part2-0.6.4-electron.bin
particle flash --usb system-part3-0.6.4-electron.bin

Downgrade warning

Note that if you already have 0.7.0 or later and you want to downgrade you must downgrade to 0.6.4 or 0.5.5 first. This is because a bootloader dependency needs to be fixed. Then you can downgrade further to the version you actually want (if not 0.6.4 or 0.5.5).

2 Likes