Unable to set target firmware

Hi, using the web IDE I’ve tried to set target firmware to 0.6.0, but it’s stuck on 0.6.1-rc2. I was able to update from rc1 to rc2 using the CLI, but nothing happens when I change the values in the web IDE…

The app flashes fine, but the firmware version is never changed.

@amunds, i don’t think the :cloud: is able to downgrade the system firmware.

If you want to do so, you have to do it manually via DFU.

What would be the reason you want to downgrade for?

I was having some issues and thought I’d try to get back to Stable, but I was unable to flash it down to 0.6.0. So I thought I’d try to flash it up to 0.6.1-rc2 instead, but using the Web IDE it was still stuck on rc1. I had to use the CLI to flash it to 0.6.1-rc2. If you are not able to downgrade using the Cloud it would be nice if some kind of message was shown.

It still doesn’t explain why I was unable to go up to the latest rc though.

I’m pretty sure you can downgrade via the cloud, but you need to do so using the CLI. The Web IDE target system version will only upgrade via safe mode healer, it will never downgrade.

The important thing is that when you downgrade OTA you need to flash the system parts in reverse order (part 2 then 1).

$ particle identify

Your device id is xxxxx
Your system firmware version is 0.6.1
$ particle flash test4 system-part2-0.6.0-photon.bin 
Including:
    system-part2-0.6.0-photon.bin
attempting to flash firmware to your device test4
Flash device OK:  Update started
$ particle flash test4 system-part1-0.6.0-photon.bin 
Including:
    system-part1-0.6.0-photon.bin
attempting to flash firmware to your device test4
Flash device OK:  Update started
$ particle identify

Your device id is xxxx
Your system firmware version is 0.6.0

Things might get a little weird if you have to cross lower than 0.5.3 on an Electron because of the switch from 2 to 3 system parts, but 0.6.0 and 0.6.1 should be fine, as far as I know.

1 Like