Triggering Music Playback with Photon

Hi All,

I am working on a project and would like to trigger the playback of an audio file with the push of a button.The only constraints are that I am using a photon, would like the audio to be output through an aux cord, and would like to be able to play the file from the beginning whenever the photon sends the signal to the device.

What type of device or shield would allow me to do this easiest and for a reasonable cost? I had poked around another site and someone recommended the Adafruit Wave shield for Arduino, but I wasn’t sure if there was a cheaper alternative and, more importantly, if porting it to work with a photon would be possible (or not too painful). Any suggestions?

I’ve had good luck with this module, as have several other community members. Unbelievably cheap and very easy to use!

5 Likes

@newport95, I’m looking at a similar project, would you mind sharing how you got this working?

Hey @Mjones unfortunately was not able to finish that project. I believe I purchased the shield mentioned above but didn’t have time to set it up. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help!

1 Like

Hi, in case you would be able to use a rasp pi (zero or any you may have already around), I used the (now discontinued) particle agent in a project that needed sound. Here it is:

It's still up and running :musical_note:

2 Likes

@gusgonnet I need this to fit in the sole of shoes. What do you think the probability of getting this onto a photon or Xenon is?

Oh, that is a interesting place to put it.
I have no clue for a photon or xenon…

1 Like

I’ll look into this and see what I come up with. Thanks!

@Mjones, you haven’t really said what you’d be looking for that goes beyond the info provided in the thread Rick has linked to in the second post in this thread.
With the little info you have disclosed so far I’d still expect the DFrobot module is your best bet.

1 Like

Hey scruffr, I’ve already ordered some DFplayers, they should be here today. I think I can use this to play the music, I was just wondering about triggering the music from a button, or in my case an NFC tag.

That's definetly an easy task which is also (indirectly) described in the linked thread.

1 Like