Tracker System Documentation

There is new Tracker SoM, Tracker SoM Evaluation Board, and Tracker One documentation available!

https://docs.particle.io/tutorials/asset-tracking/introduction/#find-out-more

Most of the documentation can be found in the Tutorials, Reference, and Datasheets sections.

Tutorials

In the Asset Tracking section in Tutorials:

Want to add temperature, pressure, and humidity data to your location publishes using the Tracker Evaluation Board? Check out this example of using a BME280 temperature, pressure, and humidity sensor connected by I2C to add data to location publishes.

And other tutorial resources:

Reference

Datasheets

Here you’ll find detailed technical specifications for the:

If you’re building a carrier board you’ll probably want to use the Eagle CAD Tracker SoM footprint in the Hardware Libraries. You can also import this into other CAD programs.

Known Issues and Errata

3 Likes

huge thanks, especially for tutorials. i’m new to the community and generally, there’s a lot for me to learn for my project. i really appreciate the post. wish you all the best.

1 Like

I seem to be missing it, but what is the bit resolution of the ADC on the Tracker SoM?

The Tracker SoM has the same nRF52840 MCU as all other Gen 3 devices, so 12-bit.

Great

I am digging into the SOM and I loaded up the Eagle footprint for the TSOM located in the Particle-Devices library. I have received my SOM module and notice that it has 3 rows of 5 pads in the center lower section of the back of the module with the bottom row starting at the 16th pin from the bottom (pictured below is my Photoshop image of what I think it should look like). The TSOM footprint that I have loaded in Eagle does not have these. It has 4 pads on the left and 5 pads on the right and they are nowhere near the pads on my actual SOM. My SOM is the T402M. Any advice on this? I am trying to begin my PCB design utilizing the new SOM. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Here is the Eagle footprint I have in the library.

This is what it should look like based on what the physical SOM looks like. Note that I drew these in using an image editing software this is not the footprint I found in the library. I put the red box around the pins that look like what my actual board looks like:

I updated Particle-Devices.lbr in hardware-libraries with a new device, footprint, and symbol.

The version with the 9 pads on the sides is the old version, and the 15 pads in the center are test pads used during manufacturing. The updated footprint has a tRestrict box around where the 15 pads are instead of the actual 15 pads.

Putting solder paste on those center pads tends to cause problems because it’s easy to get a solder bridge and it’s impossible to see it without x-ray and impossible to fix without lifting the whole SoM, which is itself difficult.

Thank you so much for the quick update. I am very eagerly waiting for the Eagle files of the evaluation board. Being able to look at the entire design is always helpful when designing new boards.

I know that your team is working hard to get all the up to date schematics and files for the new SOM but I was wondering if you could provide any Eagle files in the time being. The Eagle files that were used to create the current version of the evaluation board would be very helpful. Being able to look through them in Eagle would help me accelerate my PCB design in a big way.

In the Tracker SoM Eval Board datasheet it says the thickness is 14mm. Ooops missed a decimal place, should be 1.4mm
Also I found the mechanicals for the SoM module itself in Github, but not for the Eval board itself. Would it be possible to get the Eagle file or at least a DXF of the board with parts? I’m working on an enclosure and it would be very helpful to have at least a board outline with part placements indicated.

Hi @rdrink I was going to try to make a enclosure as well, would you be willing to share what you have started?

Hey John, @xcode
I just finished a design in Rhino that includes all the major components I think are important for an enclosure i.e. power jack, battery JST, female headers, Grove connectors*, terminal block, and tactile switches. Rough dimensions are 100.000, 165.518, 15.175 millimeters. Unfortunately I can’t say any of this is ‘to scale’ as I’m working only from my own measurements, not an Eagle file**.
Once I get it posted to github I’ll share back here.
*I’ve also modeled the Grove PM2.5 and temp/hum/CO2 sensors I have connected. I’ll put those in github as well
**My usual method (which I did with the Grove modules) is export a DXF of the dimensions and parts placement from Eagle, then model from that. Unfortunately there aren’t any Eagle files available yet for the Tracker Dev board

I am very hopeful they will get the Eagle files released on this soon. Its tough to do much without them in my case.

Until the Tracker SoM Evaluation Board and Carrier Board (Tracker One board) Eagle CAD files are available, there’s now a tutorial on making your own board:

New tutorial for creating your first Tracker SoM base board! It includes the Eagle CAD schematic and board files, libraries, description of the features, and how to hand-assemble a prototype.

https://docs.particle.io/tutorials/asset-tracking/tracker-som-first-board/

That is beyond helpful thank you!

Just out of curiosity what are the blue circles on the bkeepout layer 40 for? Maybe I am missing something but I don’t see any reason for them.

There are ten, yes, 10, board supports on the bottom of that enclosure. The bKeepout are for all of the other board supports that I didn’t use to prevent putting a component on the bottom side of the board where it would hit a standoff.

Okay that makes more sense. Thank you again for all of the help on this information.

There is now a Github repository for the Eagle CAD files for the Tracker SoM Evaluation board and Tracker Carrier Board (the board in the Tracker One).

https://github.com/particle-iot/tracker-hardware

1 Like

New application note: AN024 Tracker Relay shows how to make a quad relay board or a dual latching relay board that connects to the Tracker One M8 connector.

https://github.com/particle-iot/app-notes/tree/master/AN024-Tracker-Relay

3 Likes