Sparkcore suddenly very hot after flashing code

Okay so I was flashing code normally and it was successful in flashing and went into breathing cyan. However, when I touched it, it was so hot that it burned my finger and now I can’t even factory reset it. It’s completely unresponsive. main led is off D7 is dim. Factory reset also doesn’t work and it still gets burning hot after a minute or two. I’m powering it using the usb cable. Any suggestions or is the board fried???

Hi @suckms,

Unplug the core, remove it from the breadboard, and give it some time to cool down. Can you try using a different power supply / cable? The power regulator on the core can get hot if it’s getting a bad supply, but it’s also possible that it could be fried with really weird loads. I have sometimes seen the regulators fail, and getting hot can be a symptom of that.

Thanks,
David

hi @Dave I’ve tried unplugging it and plugging back in after it has cooled down but it still heats up hot enough to burn. I have also tried using different cables and power supplies. They all cause the spark to heat up. Additionally, they main led is acting strangely. When first plugged in, it blinks white really fast and after a few seconds the main led turns off and D7 comes on. It does not respond to anything after that. Not even factory reset. Thanks!

Hi @suckms,

Hmm, it sounds like maybe the regulator is fried, can you email us at hello@spark.io, and we can try to help more there?

Thanks,
David

Hi @Dave

Will do thanks!