Spark is now Particle!

We have changed our name to Particle!

Check it out here!

http://blog.particle.io/2015/05/13/spark-is-now-particle/

11 Likes

Mind Blowing!

So many ā€œSpark Coreā€ references out on the interwebā€¦

***ā€œParticle Coreā€***ā€¦ ***ā€œParticle Photonā€***ā€¦ ***ā€œParticle Electronā€***ā€¦ itā€™s gonna be hard to hammer into my lexicon, but as a HUGE fan, heck, Iā€™ll change my name to Sally if you guys thought it would help!!!

Congrats on the new moniker and I hope it brings in a lot of products, fun (and financing!!!).

Hooray!!!

2 Likes

Congrats on the name change!

I have to admit, when I first saw the Core on Kick starter I thought Spark was related to SparkFun. So the name makes since!

1 Like

I would have found yaā€™ll faster if I didnā€™t spend a month confusing you with sparkfun.

I like the new name.

2 Likes

Oh manā€¦ I just got my spark teeā€™s 3 days ago! Maybe they will become a collectors item one day when :spark: particle takes over the world

1 Like

Sorry, I couldnā€™t resist playing with the change of the name from Spark to Particle.

Spark
 par
 Par
 Particle

From now on, Iā€™m calling it ā€œSparkticleā€.

Okay, not really. :wink:

Right now, Iā€™m just looking forward to receiving my Photons and Electrons. Maybe there will be some Neutrons in our future. After thatā€¦ Neutrinos, Quarks, Muons, Bosonsā€¦?

2 Likes

The API change somehow broke my website - it reported an expired token. Was it just coincidence?
Creating a new token did not solve the problem so I had to also switch over to ā€˜api.particle.ioā€™

Soooā€¦ I just need to replace spark.io to particle.io on the API side? Do I need to reupload the sketches? What about the CLI? Still spark list?

the CLI is now particle-cli :slight_smile:

Version 1.5.0 is available on NPM as we speak. Once you install it (npm install -g particle-cli), you will be able to use it just as you would the spark command, but instead via the particle command!

1 Like

Hi Markus ā€” It must just be a coincidence. I just verified that if I use a valid (not expired) access token, it works seamlessly against either api.spark.io or api.particle.io with identical results.

Take a look at our API docs for listing all your access tokens, and double check requests with a few of them against both domain names. If you still see problems, donā€™t hesitate to post again.

Cheers! :smile:
Zachary

Hacking away on Maker Faire demosā€¦

1 Like

I like the new name. Obviously you guys have been preparing for this name change for some time. The name change helps me - there is a big company in NZ called ā€œSparkā€ which caused people here some confusion. Good job.

1 Like

Thanks @philipq! Yeah, Spark NZ was one of the reasons we decided to make the change.

1 Like

If I were to use a Particle device to talk to Apache Wave, would that be wave-particle duality?

3 Likes

One aspect of the name change which makes things more difficult for me is when doing google searches.

searches for things related to ā€œparticle photonā€ give a lot physics based results mixed in. google seems to have sorted ā€œspark coreā€ so that it mostly finds what I am looking for - with some Apache Spark search results thrown in.

A more unique name like temboo would have made life easier for internet searches.
I guess it will get better (except if you are into particle physics :smile: ) once google gets with the program and puts all the physics results at the end.

1 Like