[SOLVED] Unknown issue with Photon EDIT: Photon cannot connect to cloud

This is what I get when I try to install serial drivers while it is on listening mode (slow blue flash)
So do you suggest I reinstall CLI by reinstalling Nodejs?
@peekay123

When installing serial drivers, you should not let Windows search for the drivers, but direct Windows to the directory where you have downloaded and unzipped the Particle drivers to.

This is independent of the Node/CLI reinstall. You should do that as well

@atiquechowdhury, when you install the driver, you are manually selecting the driver from the particle drivers found in Particle.zip (referred to by @ScruffR)?

If this is giving you problems, make sure you are using a USB 2.0 port and not a 3.0 port.

Yes I was directing Windows to the Particle drivers folder and that message on the image above popped up, however, @peekay123 just mentioned below your comment that USB 3.0 might give you problems, time to switch to usb 2.0. I will get back to you gentlemen in 2 minutes

@atiquechowdhury, you also need to MANUALLY select the photon driver, not just point to the folder. Windows is really stupid that way.

You might want to follow this for serial drivers:

Just make sure you use the updated files where necessary.

Looks like usb 2.0 recognized the device, what shall I do now? Is it better to install the node to older version* as aforementioned and then DFU Zadig?
@peekay123 @Moors7 @ScruffR

Node and zadig are independent as well.

You’ll need both tho’

I have installed driver in blue blink mode (listening) and Zadig in DFU mode. I have also installed the older Node.js What is the next step to getting this bird online gentlemen?

@peekay123 @Moors7 @ScruffR

What do you mean with older Node.js? :confused:

4.2.4 is more recent than what you stated before 0.12.7

My apologies, I meant 4.2.4. Thought 0.12.7 is the new version 5 which was installed before. However my motherboard recognizes the device properly. Now that everything is restored, should I check whether particle serial wifi works? Or should I run this command instead

npm install -g particle-cli

Nope, 0.12.7 is 0.12.7 and 5.x.x is newer than 4.2.4, but 4.2.4 is a long term release while 5.x.x is not.
Sure you can use 5.x.x too.

But if you had installed 5.x.x and got 0.12.7 reported by node -v your path is still directing Windows to the ooooooold version that is still somewhere on your machine.

1 Like

Windows is rather finicky, and due to all the different setups, it’s pretty much impossible to tell whether or not a specific combination of software is going to work. That said, I’ve been able to get it working with 0.12.x, 4.x, as well as 5.x

I suggest you read the (various) tutorials that are available here. The tool chain has always worked for me, but I did have the drivers installed properly.

Much like @ScruffR said, choose one version of node.js, and stick to it. Definitely don’t install them side by side, or things get messy, unless you know what you’re doing…

So, pick a version, make sure it’s the only one on your machine, and try the Particle command again.

So this is what I got from Particle Serial Wifi command

C:\Users\Atique>particle serial wifi
Error loading command C:\Users\Atique\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\particle-cli\commands\SerialCommand.js Error: Cannot find module 'C:\Users\Atique\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\particle-cli\node_modules\serialport\build\Release\node-v46-win32-x64\serialport.node'
particle: Unknown command: "serial"

C:\Users\Atique>npm install -g particle-cli
-
> serialport@2.0.6 install C:\Users\Atique\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\particle-cli\node_modules\serialport
> node-pre-gyp install --fallback-to-build

[serialport] Success: "C:\Users\Atique\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\particle-cli\node_modules\serialport\build\Release\node-v46-win32-x64\serialport.node" is installed via remote
C:\Users\Atique\AppData\Roaming\npm\particle -> C:\Users\Atique\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\particle-cli\bin\particle.js
particle-cli@1.9.3 C:\Users\Atique\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\particle-cli
├── cli-spinner@0.2.2
├── xtend@4.0.1
├── semver@5.1.0
├── temp@0.8.3 (os-tmpdir@1.0.1, rimraf@2.2.8)
├── chalk@1.1.1 (supports-color@2.0.0, ansi-styles@2.1.0, escape-string-regexp@1.0.4, has-ansi@2.0.0, strip-ansi@3.0.0)
├── cli-table@0.3.1 (colors@1.0.3)
├── node-wifiscanner2@1.1.1 (os-locale@1.4.0)
├── when@3.7.7
├── glob@4.5.3 (inherits@2.0.1, once@1.3.3, inflight@1.0.4, minimatch@2.0.10)
├── inquirer@0.11.3 (strip-ansi@3.0.0, ansi-regex@2.0.0, ansi-escapes@1.1.1, figures@1.4.0, cli-width@1.1.0, rx-lite@3.1.2, through@2.3.8, run-async@0.1.0, readline2@1.0.1, string-width@1.0.1, cli-cursor@1.0.2)
├── binary-version-reader@0.3.0 (buffer-crc32@0.2.5, h5.buffers@0.1.1)
├── latest-version@2.0.0 (package-json@2.3.0)
├── hogan.js@2.0.0
├── request@2.67.0 (aws-sign2@0.6.0, forever-agent@0.6.1, tunnel-agent@0.4.2, caseless@0.11.0, is-typedarray@1.0.0, oauth-sign@0.8.0, stringstream@0.0.5, isstream@0.1.2, json-stringify-safe@5.0.1, extend@3.0.0, tough-cookie@2.2.1, qs@5.2.0, node-uuid@1.4.7, combined-stream@1.0.5, mime-types@2.1.9, form-data@1.0.0-rc3, bl@1.0.1, hawk@3.1.2, http-signature@1.1.0, har-validator@2.0.6)
├── moment@2.11.1
├── lodash@3.10.1
├── softap-setup@1.1.4 (nconf@0.7.2, node-rsa@0.2.30)
└── serialport@2.0.6 (bindings@1.2.1, async@0.9.0, sf@0.1.7, nan@2.0.9, optimist@0.6.1, debug@2.2.0)

C:\Users\Atique>particle serial wifi
? Should I scan for nearby Wi-Fi networks? (Y/n) Y
? Should I scan for nearby Wi-Fi networks? Yes

! serial: Unable to scan for Wi-Fi networks. Do you have permission to do that on this system?

Try the command again, and select ‘no’, then enter the information manually?

My motherboard is running through ethernet, could that be an issue?

If you haven’t got a wireless network card, it might be hard to detect wireless networks…
That said, entering the information manually, like I mentioned in my previous post, should work.

So I have tried that and this is what happened

C:\Users\Atique>particle setup
                  _   _      _        _
 _ __   __ _ _ __| |_(_) ___| | ___  (_) ___
| '_ \ / _` | '__| __| |/ __| |/ _ \ | |/ _ \
| |_) | (_| | |  | |_| | (__| |  __/_| | (_) |
| .__/ \__,_|_|   \__|_|\___|_|\___(_)_|\___/
|_|                     https://particle.io/

> Setup is easy! Let's get started...
> It appears as though you are already logged in as atique_chowdhury@hotmail.com
? Would you like to log in with a different account? No

! PROTIP: Hold the MODE/SETUP button on your device until it blinks blue!
! PROTIP: Please make sure you are connected to the internet.

> I have detected a Photon connected via USB.
? Would you like to continue with this one? Yes
! The Photon supports secure Wi-Fi setup. We'll try that first.

! PROTIP: Wireless setup of Photons works like a wizard!
! PROTIP: We will automagically change the Wi-Fi network to which your computer is connected.
! PROTIP: You will lose your connection to the internet periodically.

! PROTIP: Some computers may require Administrator permissions for my automagical Wi-Fi scanning capabilities.

! OOPS: I was unable to scan for nearby Wi-Fi networks (-___-)

? We can still proceed in 'manual' mode. Would you like to continue? Yes

! PROTIP: Manual mode will prompt you to manage the Wi-Fi connection of your computer when it's necessary.
! PROTIP: To proceed, you will need to be able to manually change the Wi-Fi connectivity of your computer.
! PROTIP: Your Photon will appear in your computer's list of Wi-Fi networks with a name like, Photon-XXXX
! PROTIP: Where XXXX is a string of random letters and/or numbers unique to that specific Photon.

! PROTIP: You will need to know the password for your Wi-Fi network (if any) to proceed.
! PROTIP: You can press ctrl + C to quit setup at any time.

> Obtained magical secure claim code.

? Please connect to the Photon's Wi-Fi network now. Press enter when ready.

> Now to configure our precious Photon

! PROTIP: If you want to skip scanning, or your network is configured as a
! PROTIP: non-broadcast network, please enter manual mode to proceed...

? Would you like to manually enter your Wi-Fi network configuration? Yes
? Please enter the SSID of your Wi-Fi network: Chowdhury Home Network
? Please enter your Wi-Fi network password (leave blank for none): ********
? Please select the security used by your Wi-Fi network: WPA2 AES
> Here's what we're going to send to the Photon:

> Wi-Fi Network: Chowdhury Home Network
> Password: ******** 
> Security: WPA2 AES

? Would you like to continue with the information shown above? Yes

> Obtaining device information...

aaaaandddd it’s still obtaining :expressionless:

I was thinking of the particle serial wifi command, since the Particle setup command can be somewhat unstable.
Give that a try?