Solder P1 Board on PCB by Hand?

photon
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fe21e4082f8>

Hello, I am wondering if it is possible (and how to if possible) to solder the P1 board onto a custom PCB board by hand. I do not have access to industrial services, and I need to create a custom PCB to make sure the P1 board fits into my project (the photon does not). If this is not possible, I would be glad to be introduced to some industrial services yall recommend.

Cheers,
Joaquin

I would not recommend soldering a P1 by hand, because it’s a attached by pads on the bottom.

The Photon (no headers) and E Series have castellated edges that can be soldered by hand with a soldering iron, but the P1 does not.

You can hand-assemble one with solder paste, but you need a reflow oven. I use an inexpensive T962 reflow oven that works fine for making one or two boards.

Or you could try one of the DIY techniques like using a skillet, but the P1 is a pretty sensitive component to do that with. It might work, or might not.

SeeedStudio PCBA carries the P1 in their standard parts library so you can have them build a complete board for you in small quantities without having to special order the P1s.

Thank you very much! Sorry that I was not specific, but I have my board already created. My question now is how can I physically print/create the board. From the sound of it, it sounds extremely difficult to create it by hand, so I was wondering if there were any companies in the US (or Canada) that could create/print a few of these board that would include the P1 perfectly soldered on.

Cheers,
Joaquin

This service should allow for that.

Expresspcb does a good job, maybe pricey with small lot sizes.