Sharp Memory LCD Displays = Ultra Low Power

Nope - mine is slightly different…I created my own. And apparently made a mistake. Thx for your help. I ordered a board from Tindie.

1 Like

Well at least you can quit banging your head against the wall now.

Is it something that you can run a wire to and fix? Like pulling the EXT pin to ground or something?

Are you using the memory lcd for lower power consumption or just because they are high resolution screens?

Yeah - Can try pulling to ground with a 10K I got around here. Problem is, I have to connect direct to the FPC connector. eeesh.

Lower power and perfect size. Going into battery powered calculator. Hobby

1 Like

Yea these Memory LCD’s look like E Paper to me and with a very sharp resolution due to all the pixels.

You cant beat them for direct light readability also.

I would love to see the calculator once you have it done.

1 Like

Okay - Once I get some of these hardware bugs out, I’ll share. It’ll all be open source. FYI - it’ll be RPN with a stack. Imagine a simplified HP-48(49,50,etc), but with a nice 2.7" screen with ~8-10 values visible in the stack.

Sounds good.

Maybe you can add some games to it also :smile:

http://www.jadegame.com/games/hp48/

@RWB Hey Ryan,

I am trying to use the sharp memory color LCD LS013B7DH06. I saw some posts in which you were trying to make it work. Did you get it working? I have used @peekay123 's https://github.com/pkourany/Adafruit_SharpMem library for monochrome 1.28" display and it was working. But not sure how to use it for 3 bit per pixel data.

@dirtydevil, I developed a full display driver for the Sharp color display for @RWB. If he’s ok for releasing it publicly, I’ll put it in a repo for all to access. :smiley:

@peekay123 That’s really great and will be helpful if @RWB can ask you to make the driver, open source. Please help.
Thanks.

@dirtydevil What is your application? I paid $500 for Paul’s work plus your going to need special bitmap art software to create any sort of color bitmap image to display on the screen because of the special 3 bit packing data structure. I think that software was $60-80.

Do you want the code bad enough to chip in to help offset my development cost?

@RWB I am working on a portable gaming console prototype as a hobby project and I bought both LCD screens, that’s why was looking for it to make it work. And being just a hobbyist, I am afraid that I won’t be able to pay anything. I was thinking of making the source code of the game open source. However, I understand that you also paid for it, so it would be difficult for you to make the decision of making it open source. It’s alright, I will try to spend more time on it rather than paying for it. Thanks for the help.

I downloaded the Paul’s code and the screen is alive! :grin:

It appears though that the setRotation doesn’t quite work, anybody having the same problem?

I don’t think I ever tried Set Rotation, I can’t see any way to serial print text in another orientation without that feature either.

Here are updated versions of the libraries. I forked Adafruit’s repositories with Paul’s code. Rotation is working now. Tested on Photon.

1 Like

Thanks for fixing that feature @Meizirkki :smiley:

This display looks really cool. Where can I buy that? Does anyone have a recommendation for an online vendor?

Mouser. Com sells them all.

1 Like

@RWB: I understand that you are using a TS3005 timer to generate the VCOM pulse for the display. I originally tried to get the 1Hz pulse from a real time clock but ran into problems with this solution. Do you have any schematics for how you used the TS3005?

Just to throw in an alternative (without reading the whole thread)
There is the SparkIntervalTimer library that uses the hardware timer interrupts and works quite well.

Actually I am controlling the Display with an Atmega328. I am sorry for posting this in the Particle forums. :confused:
RWB just seems to be the one person on the internet that figured out a proper way to deal with the VCOM signal.