Samsung S5 hotspot (Android)

Hi,
I have a Photon that works like a charm, but it’s impossible to use my phone as the Wifi connection. Using a shared internet connection other mobile phones it works well, but on my Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) running Android 5.0 I can’t get a connection.

Here’s the output I get setting it up with “particle serial wifi”

? Should I scan for nearby Wi-Fi networks? Yes
? Select the Wi-Fi network with which you wish to connect your device: JCB7
? Should I try to auto-detect the wireless security type? Yes
> Detected WPA2(PSK/AES/AES) security
! Something went wrong: Serial port closed early

It’s not very likely that a serial port does “close early”, but I presume there’s ways to get proper information about that is actually happening?

Try to provide your WiFi credentials manually (answer “? Should I scan for nearby Wi-Fi networks?” with N).

If have a tool like inSSIDer you could check what band/channel your phone uses and if this is compatible with your Photon.

Have you maybe set access restrictions under “Allowed Devices” on your hotspot?

I think I found a bug. My phone is WPA2 Personal and when I connect manually I get this error:

? Security Type WPA2
/usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/commands/SerialCommand.js:745
			if (securityType.indexOf('AES') >= 0 && securityType.indexOf('TKIP') >= 0) {
			                 ^

TypeError: securityType.indexOf is not a function
at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/commands/SerialCommand.js:745:22
at SerialTrigger.serialDataCallback (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/lib/SerialTrigger.js:31:4)
at emitOne (events.js:82:20)
at SerialPort.emit (events.js:169:7)
at whenBored (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/lib/SerialBoredParser.js:9:12)
at null._onTimeout (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/particle-cli/lib/SerialBoredParser.js:16:5)
at Timer.listOnTimeout (timers.js:92:15)

I’m on OSX v10.10.5 but that’s probably not relevant.

What versions are you on? particle --version and node -v
Have you recently done a npm update -g particle-cli?

I’ll wait for my daughter, she’s got a S5, then I can try out

But meanwhile you could also try to connect with CoolTerm and send “w” that’s another way to provide WiFi credentials to the device (in Listening Mode too).

node: v4.2.4
particle: 1.11.0