Relay shield v2.0

I just got my Spark Core with relay shield. I am very disappointed because load voltage for relays is only 125V AC. In Europe and other countries is main voltage 230V AC.

Look at table in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

Most countries have 230-240V voltage…

So why only 125V relays? :frowning:

Hello @svanya
As per the datasheet ( http://pewa.panasonic.com/assets/pcsd/catalog/js-catalog.pdf ) the relays can indeed switch loads of upto (277VAC 6Amp) at NO

The relay part number is: JS1-5V-F (SPDT)

It doesn’t really say anything about switching inductive loads, only resistive. So be careful with inductive loads, they could easily create high levels of arcing that will destroy and possible weld your contacts. If you want to give it a go, it might be a good idea to add a properly selected MOV varistor or TVS diode across your load near the relay contacts.

General rule of thumb, the higher the voltage, the less current it will draw.

Ohms law, I=W/V

So, a 100w light bulb draws .24 Amps at 240v, or .5 Amps at 110.

The voltage is immaterial, Its I (amps) that matters.

No reason to be disappointed.

Anyhow, if you have a concern, use the relay to drive a SSR or another relay with higher ratings.

The relay board also has TUV ratings, which means these devices are tested to the highest standard.
The link you provided doesn’t contain any useful information.

What on earth are you switching that requires so much current ?

100W / 110V = 0.909A
100W / 240V = 0.416A

Voltage always matters… especially when it’s 240VAC. 1VAC at 0.416A is not going to breakdown your skin resistance much, but 240VAC at 0.416A is going to hurt like hell. In terms of the relay contacts, there is the concept of Arcing and Sparking. The Voltage and Current and Load type all influence these two terms.

svanya never said anything about current, only voltage. The link provided shows residential voltages around the world, the point being many are 230 and up. Maybe they have plans to build something really cool, useful or fun… let’s encourage them!