So after hours of debugging and researching the forums I have come to realized that:
- All webhook responses/calls backs are private
- Private events cannot be sent/recieved within a product
- The only way to recieve events are by claiming the device
This is base on the following posts and replies by @rickkas7:
- [Solved] Webhook not forwarding callback from server (to product device subscription)
- Is there a way to setup and claim multiple electrons at once?
My problem is very similar to that of Is there a way to setup and claim multiple electrons at once?.
A summary of the issue is:
- I need to recieved private events
- I can only recieve private events when a device is claimed
- I need to claim devices and I would like devices claim in bulk as part of my assembly and manufacturing process. I want this process to be scalable for a large number of devices.
Solve any ONE of the above points and I will be happy.
My suituation is as follows:
- I have bought a large number of particle (~300 Borons/Argons/Xenons/Electrons)
- We have a manufacturing process where by particles are integrated into our custom parts making up our product, boxed up and shipped to customers
- If we want to claim the particle, we have to do this before we sent this to the customer. This means that all devices will have to be…
- Powered on
- Configured to connect to the cloud (in the case of Argons/Xenons)
- Wait for connection (sometimes 10-15mins for Boron’s first connect)
- Individually claimed (probably by particle-cli, scripting this is no problem it is really the above points)
My question is as follows:
- How is this claiming process scalable for large numbers of devices? Or are there any alternatives? Configuring each Argons and Xenons on the manufacturing line is not impossible but a HUGE hassel and adding time to assembly/manufacturing. But for Boron devices? The time taken to first connect is really not scalable.
- Even after claiming the devices, it takes a hard power on and power off after the claim for me to start recieving private web hook response. A power cycle by the reset button or just waiting for the claim to take effect does not seem to work. If we push claiming to the customer’s side, this is for one, a crappy customer experience, and secondly unnecessary since the customers do not interface with particle’s console in anyway.
- All devices are currently claimed under 1 single account which feels unnessary. This also feels like a point of failure if the account is also accidentally misconfigured. Is particle looking at sending private response’s on a product scope at all? @rickkas7 said in Is there a way to setup and claim multiple electrons at once? (quote below), is there a timeline for this? Large deployment is EXACTLY my issue here…
That being said, a way to use product devices without claiming is something that’s being investigated, as it would eliminate a step that’s a pain for large deployments. I don’t have a time frame for that feature, however.