When I flashed from Particle Build web IDE, the code did not run - and the LED became breathing white.
After I got my photon to breathe the right color, I went straight to to here: http://www.cubetube.org/gallery/
Then I loaded one of my “visualizations” into my photon (running a 512 LED “cube”) and I noticed it took a overwhelmingly longer amount of time (say, 15mins) under which, the photon alternated from flashing magenta to resetting, then back to flashing magenta a couple times - I am certain that it was updating its code from the cloud - but I have no idea of exactly what was being loaded (I suspect the most recent firmware and STM libraries?) and from which source (local to their own repo or particle’s?).
So this is how I ended up. I am confident that now the photon is up-to-date, because it takes the usual few seconds to load any new code from that website, as well as from Particle Build.
I didn’t know that for a while until after a week ago, I learned that this is good - after careful observation - whenever I set my photon to “safe mode” and it became breathing magenta, I thought something went wrong and proceeded to perform the extra 2 steps I mentioned above to get the breathing cyan mode back (to me, that was “safe”).
I now know better, as whenever I put my photon in “safe mode” (releasing the Setup button during flashing magenta state) I can flash it and it becomes breathing cyan.
As users, we need to stick to what we know is good; speaking for myself, I know I’ve been late in catching up with the recent updates in the documentation, but - if I may offer my two cents of constructive criticism - I feel sometimes changes do take a while to make it into the official documentation, and although they are indeed good changes (e.g., when recently you guys pushed an update to 0.4.4), we usually get caught by surprise and it takes time to figure out what happened and (as it was the case with the 0.4.4 update) figure out what we need to modify in our firmware code to make it compliant again (e.g., with the push to 0.4.4 my code began issuing compiler errors due to a redefinition of two GPIO functions I’ve written directly, to cope with the lack of ReadInputDataBit() as well as STM32_Pin_Info* HAL_Pin_Map() STM32xx functions at the time - that is how I learned that I no longer needed them).