Photon Initial Setup Error

So I made a mistake…

I got my Photon in the mail, I plugged it in, joined it to my Wifi, and while it was automatically being flashed with the initial software, I unplugged my Photon (silly I know…)

Now it basically doesn’t do anything other than a White RGB LED and a dim D7 LED. I tried factory reset but no luck.

I can get into DFU mode. I was wondering if there are pre-built images I can flash instead of building them myself. If they exist, can someone point them to me.

Thanks

You can try to flash a know app from CLI: https://github.com/spark/spark-cli#flashing-a-known-app

Hi @Carsten4207

You should try the second set of instructions on this page under Flashing Locally with DFU:

If you can get to DFU mode like you said, this should be easy to recover from.

1 Like

I followed the instructions and now the Photon instantly goes into this state (D7 ON), (RGB barely lit).

I can still get into DFU. I think it might be current firmware/tinker app. The instructions state:

An additional optional step is resetting the current firmware and factory backup to tinker. This is done by flashing
user-part.bin to 0x80A0000
user-part.bin to 0x80E0000 (factory reset location)

However, I dont see the user-part.bin to download. I only see these:

You are in the “no firmware” state now.

Can you build a .bin file for Photon from the CLI or download from the IDE and flash it via DFU at 0x80A0000?

We could ask @mdma to put user-part.bin into that repo as well, but it is just Tinker.

1 Like

Thanks… would the dfu command be like this:

dfu-util -d 2b04:d006 -a 0 -s 0x80A0000:leave -D firmware.bin

Yes, that looks right!

Flashed an app compiled by the CLI (latest) but once the Photon reboots it goes back into that same state as before.

Might be a silly question, but how do I compile for the Photon? Are the Core/Photon User Code compatible or do you have to compile specifically for the Photon?

Very strange. Unplugging the photon during the initial OTA shouldn’t brick it, unless you did it just at the moment when it has reset after the data has been downloaded.

Once you have flashed system_pad.bin (or equivalently system part1 and part2 - system_pad is simply part1 and part2 concatenated) then perform a firmware reset. This will copy tinker from the factory backup location.

I just tried to flash the Photon via:

dfu-util -d 2b04:d006 -a 0 -s 0x8020000:leave -D system_pad_BM-09.bin

and then do a Factory Reset (blinking green led), but then it just goes back into that same state.

I do get an error on the DFU Util:

C:\Users\dresslerc\Desktop\dfu\dfu-util-0.8-binaries\win32-mingw32>dfu-util -d 2
b04:d006 -a 0 -s 0x8020000:leave -D system_pad_BM-09.bin
dfu-util 0.8

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2014 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

Invalid DFU suffix signature
A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
Cannot open DFU device 2b04:d006
Opening DFU capable USB device…
ID 2b04:d006
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Claiming USB DFU Interface…
Setting Alternate Setting #0
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 4096
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash "
Downloading to address = 0x08020000, size = 393216
Download [=========================] 100% 393216 bytes
Download done.
File downloaded successfully
Error during download get_status

C:\Users\dresslerc\Desktop\dfu\dfu-util-0.8-binaries\win32-mingw32>

This is a known issue with dfu-util - the DFU has succeeded.

Can you also try safe mode? (Similar to firmware reset, but you release as soon as you see it flashing magenta.)

1 Like

As soon as it starts flashing magenta and I release the SETUP button, it goes back into the same state as described above.

Here is a video:

Can you try flashing system_pad_BM-09.bin again please just to be sure.

1 Like

Same thing. I went and redownloaded the file, reflashed. Then tried to do a Factory Reset (hold setup, tap reset, wait till flashing green then release setup).

Here is the DFU log:

C:\Users\dresslerc\Desktop\dfu\dfu-util-0.8-binaries\win32-mingw32>dfu-util -d
b04:d006 -a 0 -s 0x8020000:leave -D "system_pad_BM-09 (1).bin"
dfu-util 0.8

Copyright 2005-2009 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2014 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

Invalid DFU suffix signature
A valid DFU suffix will be required in a future dfu-util release!!!
Cannot open DFU device 2b04:d006
Opening DFU capable USB device…
ID 2b04:d006
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Claiming USB DFU Interface…
Setting Alternate Setting #0
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 4096
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash "
Downloading to address = 0x08020000, size = 393216
Download [=========================] 100% 393216 bytes
Download done.
File downloaded successfully
Error during download get_status

C:\Users\dresslerc\Desktop\dfu\dfu-util-0.8-binaries\win32-mingw32>

Before the factory reset, was there any activity of the main LED? (If you don’t recall, please flash again, but don’t do the factory reset.)

No activity on the main LED.

Basically flashes yellow until DFU is completed 100%. Then immediately jumps to:

I can make a video if it’ll help.

Any other suggestions?

I did notice a dct_prep.bin show up here:

Maybe something I can try?

Another update:

I installed V40 from this link:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/release-binaries/photon/photon_parts_v040.zip

And now the RGB LED is white and the D7 is on but dim. Tried to do a factory reset but again no luck.

I hate to continue bringing this up… but I got this happening.

I hold SETUP, tap RESET, and then if I release SETUP maybe 1-3 seconds while its flashing magenta, then the RGB led turns a solid blue. D7 is still on as well.

Not sure if releavent, but a solid BLUE RGB means “Transferring WiFi Info”? I wonder if something went wrong there.

My 2nd Photon works great!

Hi @Carsten4207

I am sorry I don’t have much more to contribute on your actual problem–perhaps @mdma has more ideas!

But your picture shows a less-than-good practice: You should remove the Photon from the black conductive foam that is used to prevent static problems during shipping and handling when you power up the device. It is like you have a connected a bunch of resistors between all the pins of the device. I don’t think this causing your problems but it is not a good idea and you should remove it.

3 Likes