Particle Mesh Range

Is the communication range of the particle mesh published anywhere?

3 Likes

Great question!

You should expect that point to point range of the mesh network, which operates at 2.4GHz, to be roughly
comparable to bluetooth (tens of meters). It is also designed to co-exist with Wi-Fi in order to maximize range.

The great part about mesh, however, is that the endpoints do not all have to connect to a central network gateway like with Wi-Fi. So, the effective range of the network can be extended greatly by daisy-chaining endpoints together which allows messages to hop between mesh devices until it reaches a network gateway.

12 Likes

Great, thanks.

So compared to LORA it has a lot less range right?

Correct considering the RFM95W LoRa Radios can give you 1 to 1.5 miles range using simple wire antennas and more using directional antennas.

Just posted some new simplified LoRa radio module code that compiles without errors via Particle DEV if your interested in testing these radios. I have not had time to test this new library code but plan on doing it soon. They are much simpler than the Radio Head libraries usually used with the RFM95 & 96 radios.

3 Likes

Excellent will give it a spin!

Did you ever get to test out the RFM95w radios?

I am working with them as we speak… I’ve just finished a board with it.

I am usign another chip in preparation for the new particle mesh devices.

Tried the first code to talk to the module and worked fine.

4 Likes

Would you mind sharing the source files, so we can take a look?

Well, for now there’s no source :blush: I was thinking on using Arduino library since it uses SPI at the core, it should work. As of now, when I connect to the device with the begin command… it succeeds.

This is an open source project so once there is source I will publish it, but I was in the hopes that there was a library I can start from.

1 Like

Great, thank you. I wasn’t clear, but I’m interested in the hardware source files. If you’re interested in sharing them, please do.

I will for sure… let me just test everything first, I am having an issue with the BME680 sensor… it is not behaving well… :confused:

1 Like

Nice custom board!

GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth, SD Card, RFM95W LoRa long-range radio!

Share more when you’re ready!

Do you have any balloon pictures that show the curve of the earth? I have a friend that thinks the Earth may be Flat :smile: :earth_americas: :smile:

He says everybody is using a fisheye lense to get the curve in the pictures :slight_smile:

1 Like

LoL… Il send some pics… And of course this board will be open source 100%… Just need to test the sensor and if it works everything else is fine.

The board also has a boost converter for 5V sensors, and to power the Iridium sat modem if desired :blush:.

More pics of the lab and launch here:

This shot was taken in a resolution that does not cause wide angle effect.

4 Likes