Particle-Dev won't compile

Hi.

I’m having trouble with the Particle-Dev Application. It won’t compile,

I keep getting: > Uncaught TypeError: path must be a string

TypeError: path must be a string
at TypeError (native)
at Object.fs.openSync (fs.js:584:18)
at Object.module.(anonymous function) [as openSync] (ATOM_SHELL_ASAR.js:159:20)
at Object.fs.readFileSync (fs.js:431:33)
at Object.fs.readFileSync (ATOM_SHELL_ASAR.js:427:29)
at C:\Users\Davidm\AppData\Local\particledev\app-1.8.0\resources\app.asar\node_modules\particle-dev\lib\main.js:1030:40
at Object.module.exports.minBuildTargetRequired (C:\Users\Davidm\AppData\Local\particledev\app-1.8.0\resources\app.asar\node_modules\particle-dev\lib\main.js:498:14)
at C:\Users\Davidm\AppData\Local\particledev\app-1.8.0\resources\app.asar\node_modules\particle-dev\lib\main.js:941:24
at Object.module.exports.loginRequired (C:\Users\Davidm\AppData\Local\particledev\app-1.8.0\resources\app.asar\node_modules\particle-dev\lib\main.js:450:14)
at Object.module.exports.compileCloud (C:\Users\Davidm\AppData\Local\particledev\app-1.8.0\resources\app.asar\node_modules\particle-dev\lib\main.js:939:19)
at atom-workspace.<anonymous> (C:\Users\Davidm\AppData\Local\particledev\app-1.8.0\resources\app.asar\node_modules\particle-dev\lib\main.js:146:24)
at CommandRegistry.module.exports.CommandRegistry.handleCommandEvent (C:\Users\Davidm\AppData\Local\particledev\app-1.8.0\resources\app.asar\src\command-registry.js:260:29)
at CommandRegistry.handleCommandEvent (C:\Users\Davidm\AppData\Local\particledev\app-1.8.0\resources\app.asar\src\command-registry.js:3:61)
at CommandRegistry.module.exports.CommandRegistry.dispatch (C:\Users\Davidm\AppData\Local\particledev\app-1.8.0\resources\app.asar\src\command-registry.js:160:19)
at executeCallback (C:\Users\Davidm\AppData\Local\particledev\app-1.8.0\resources\app.asar\node_modules\tool-bar\lib\tool-bar-button-view.js:123:19)
at ToolBarButtonView._onClick (C:\Users\Davidm\AppData\Local\particledev\app-1.8.0\resources\app.asar\node_modules\tool-bar\lib\tool-bar-button-view.js:82:9)

The code works fine online. I’ve checked for file name conventions, what am I missing? :frowning:

Could you try compiling without that Readme file is the folder? Only put files in your project that are necessary for compiling.

I nuked the Readme file but it made no difference.

Just found this issue in the Github repo.

Seems like it was an issue with the Dev IDE that was fixed. Are you on an older version?

Hi,

Yeah I combed the GIT repository and logged a ticket there too!

I’m on the latest version.

I’ve tried the Zip file and the exe file.

And now I see that the 1.8 release was February with 0 commits so I’m not sure if they ever actually fixed the bug? :unamused:

Just as an additional comment on this:

Particle-Dev generates the Read/me file. If this really does cause issues, why is it generating the file? Seems kind of stupid to have the Dev environment sabotage the compiler and create an unnecessary bug?