Particle Dev on OSX Runaway Process

Is anyone else seeing Particle Dev runaway process issues?

I see after a short period (30-40mins use) my disks spinning and fans working overtime.

My machine generates a heat bloom visible from the space station.

Would a complete reinstall help?

Which OSX version are you running ?
Is the ISS seeing one hot spot from the space only when you run Particle dev, or even some other app causes this effect ?
What about your CPU load ?

Claudio

@duffo64

I’m running OSX 10.10.4

I have it dow to Particle Dev. Honestly it could be a combination of Dev and another app, I just cannot fond what triggers it.

in idle state “atom Helper” consumes 27% of CPU.

cpu load (no apps running except daemons approx 1.5%

1 Like

I also see Atom Helper using 27% CPU on my Mac Book Pro Retina (Late 2013) running Mac OS X 10.11 GM

1 Like

This is really weird, as I have Particle dev + helpers at 0% when idle (both 10.9.5 and 10.10.5).
I hoped about a system problem on 10.9.x, but this seems really Atom related, sorry :frowning:

Bumping this topic. I have recently installed Particle Dev and seeing Atom Helper CPU usage on a Mac (OSX 10.12.2) 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 go to 120%. By disabling/enabling the packages, I’ve found that:

• Showing a Serial Monitor window is about 80% of that only when the Electron is connected
  • The Tool Bar is about 40% only when a device selected

Since these outputs are related to how Particle Dev uses Atom, it would seem the problem might be on the Particle Dev side of things.

Maybe not the answer you’re looking for but:
I’ve stopped using Atom (and Particle Dev) because the battery life of my macbook is cut in half…
I switched to sublime text with particle cli. It’s quite easy to use : )

You can just use vanilla sublime text and install particle-cli with npm (https://github.com/spark/particle-cli).
It as easy as going to your project folder in a terminal and typing:
particle flash [devicename] .
OR
particle compile photon .