Particle Dev Installation Problem

I am trying to download the Particle Dev Desktop IDE since I want to be able to use the serial monitor option. I have been using the Online IDE without any problems. I downloaded the Particle Dev Installer for Windows from here and was able to download the zip file easily.I extracted the folder to my Desktop and ran the installer from there and I keep getting the error setup log every time I try to run it seen below. Let me know what I am doing wrong.

2017-06-07 14:56:35> Program: Starting Squirrel Updater: --install .
2017-06-07 14:56:35> Program: Starting install, writing to C:\Users\Immortal Morning\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
2017-06-07 14:56:35> Program: About to install to: C:\Users\Immortal Morning\AppData\Local\particledev
2017-06-07 14:56:35> Program: Install path C:\Users\Immortal Morning\AppData\Local\particledev already exists, burning it to the ground
2017-06-07 14:56:37> CheckForUpdateImpl: Failed to load local releases, starting from scratch: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Immortal Morning\AppData\Local\particledev\packages\RELEASES'.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at Squirrel.Utility.LoadLocalReleases(String localReleaseFile)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.CheckForUpdateImpl.<CheckForUpdate>d__3f.MoveNext()
2017-06-07 14:56:37> CheckForUpdateImpl: Reading RELEASES file from C:\Users\Immortal Morning\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
2017-06-07 14:56:37> CheckForUpdateImpl: First run or local directory is corrupt, starting from scratch
2017-06-07 14:56:37> ApplyReleasesImpl: Writing files to app directory: C:\Users\Immortal Morning\AppData\Local\particledev\app-1.8.0
2017-06-07 14:57:48> IEnableLogger: Failed to install package to app dir: System.IO.PathTooLongException: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.
   at System.IO.PathHelper.GetFullPathName()
   at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPathLength, Boolean expandShortPaths)
   at System.IO.Path.GetFullPathInternal(String path)
   at ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.FastZip.ExtractEntry(ZipEntry entry)
   at ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.FastZip.ExtractZip(Stream inputStream, String targetDirectory, Overwrite overwrite, ConfirmOverwriteDelegate confirmDelegate, String fileFilter, String directoryFilter, Boolean restoreDateTime, Boolean isStreamOwner)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClassb4.<<installPackageToAppDir>b__ad>d__bd.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Squirrel.Utility.<LogIfThrows>d__50`1.MoveNext()
2017-06-07 14:57:48> Unhandled exception: System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.IO.PathTooLongException: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.
   at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck, Int32 maxPathLength, Boolean expandShortPaths)
   at ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.FastZip.ExtractZip(Stream inputStream, String targetDirectory, Overwrite overwrite, ConfirmOverwriteDelegate confirmDelegate, String fileFilter, String directoryFilter, Boolean restoreDateTime, Boolean isStreamOwner)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<>c__DisplayClassb4.<<installPackageToAppDir>b__ad>d__bd.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<ApplyReleases>d__7a.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.<FullInstall>d__f.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.<Install>d__38.MoveNext()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Wait()
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.executeCommandLine(String[] args)
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.main(String[] args)
---> (Inner Exception #0) System.IO.PathTooLongException: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.ApplyReleasesImpl.<ApplyReleases>d__7a.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.UpdateManager.<FullInstall>d__f.MoveNext()
   at Squirrel.Update.Program.<Install>d__38.MoveNext()<---
1 Like

Hello,

Let me ping someone that might be able to help, @Moors7 are you able to assist?

Kyle

1 Like

Hmm, It seems that you have spaces in your path, which is asking for problems. It might not be the cause here, but in general, it’s best to avoid them. Underscores work wonders in keeping things readable.

Furthermore, there are multiple errors claiming the file path is too long. Try manually picking/creating a path that’s shorter?

1 Like

Another workaround is to just download the Windows zip file:

Extract that and move it into your C:\Program Files directory; it doesn’t actually require an installer to work properly.

2 Likes

Tried downloading the zip file before, ran into the same issue when starting up. Will try it again.

I will try picking a different path.

If you are just looking for a serial monitor I would recommend something other than Dev. I use Dev but use Tera Term for serial monitor. The monitor in Dev does not reconnect after the device power cycles, which is every time you flash. Tera Term will auto reconnects after the device comes back up.

1 Like

These issues can be solved by using Long Path Tool program.

1 Like