Particle Core firmware upgrade

Hi,

I’m trying to find a way to upgrade my particle Core to the latest firmware but can’t find any tutorials on how to do this.

Thanks

1 Like

This?
https://docs.particle.io/support/troubleshooting/firmware-upgrades/core/

I put the core into dfu-mode (yellow blink) and run the first command. this is what I get :

particle flash --factory tinker
Flash device failed: EPERM: operation not permitted, scandir ‘C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Application Data’

The Core uses monolithic firmware. Each time you flash a user firmware binary it also contains the system firmware. If you are using the Web IDE, selecting the Target System Version in the Devices tab (circle with 4 lines) is all you need to do to upgrade or downgrade a Core.

2 Likes

thanks!
still have 1 issue is the freeRtos library.

If I include it, it does not compile!!

Thanks!
I still can't get freeRTOS to be install on the core

@goncalo which version of firmware are you targeting? The original release was on 0.4.6 so you may need to try it with that version first.

When choosing 0.8.0-rc11, the example timer project compiles successfully for me.

@goncalo, if you are using the timers.ino example, then you need to change the #include line to #include <freertos4core.h>. The double quotes need to be changed to <>.

Something is not right!!
I was not able to flash the module. SO I decide to remove it from my list (1 have 1 core and 2 photons).
I want to claim it again, bu not luck

My core is breathing cyan so it’s connect to the cloud, but I can claim it!
It says : Device not connected

I put the device back to blinking blue so I can user a terminal to connect via serial and get the id by pressing the “i” and then configure the wifi credential by pressing the “w”.

Once online, still can’t claim it!!

Any idea for my situation?!

@goncalo, get the devide ID of your Core by following this guide:

https://docs.particle.io/support/particle-devices-faq/finding-device-id/

Once you have the ID, go to the Web IDE, under “devices” where your list of Particle devices is. At the bottom you will find an “ADD NEW DEVICE” button. Click on it and it will ask for the device ID to add. Once the device has been added, you can rename it (if necessary).

1 Like

All this was done, but it says that device is not connected (using particle cli command line)
The core is breathing cyan so it should mean that the device is connected to cloud

@rickkas7, any thoughts?

Does it do anything other than breathing cyan? Could you try flashing Tinker over usb and trying again?

1 Like

You could also try the full core reset:

Put the Core in DFU mode by holding down both the RST and MODE buttons, releasing RST and continuing to hold down MODE until it blinks yellow and issue the commands below, in order.

After completing some of the steps the color may change to something else; if so note what color/pattern it is, then use the button combination to get back to blinking yellow. The core should be blinking yellow before each of the commands listed below is entered.

particle flash --usb --factory tinker
particle flash --usb deep_update_2014_06
particle flash --usb tinker
particle flash --usb cc3000
particle flash --usb tinker

Additional instructions are here:
https://docs.particle.io/support/troubleshooting/connection-help/core/#deep-update-for-the-core

Then put the Core in listening mode (blinking blue) if not already in that state by pressing and releasing RST. Then holding down MODE until it blinks dark blue. Then issue the command:

particle serial wifi

The normal sequence is white, blinking green, blinking cyan (light blue), fast blinking cyan, and finally breathing cyan. If you do not get to breathing cyan, please copy and paste the terminal output in your reply and let me know how far it did get.

If you get to breathing cyan:

particle device add YOUR_DEVICE_ID
4 Likes

Looks good after following your procedure!
I was able to claim the device again and now it`s says online!

I will be able to try the freertos library on the core

1 Like

Hi!

Just test the timer example with firmware 0.8.0 rc11.
it compiles, it flash the core, but then red led flashing wich is an hard fault.

in firmware release 0.7.0, it flash but it keep the module in a reseting loop!!! it goes alive then reset and keeps going like this.