Nice graphic interface for Spark Cores

Hi all,

I just thought I would post a link to something I am just starting to use with my Spark Core to provide a graphical interface to my setup.

http://www.infiniteautomation.com/

The Mango software is so easy to setup and it runs on Linux or Windows and has it’s own built in HTML server. The DGLUX part is what I am after to create my interface and it runs on any device with a FLASH based browser. There is also an iOS and Android app that can connect to it with.

The commercial price is $400 and that may sound expensive but having played around with this in the last 2 weeks I love the flexibility of the whole system. You won’t need this is you just want to use at home but it does limit IP connections to a maximum of 3 so as long as your computers have the same IP all the time, it will work fine.

It supports a number of data formats and the one I use the most is HTTP which the Spark Core can easily generate.

Check out the video demo’s of DGLUX to see what it can do. I have some nice dial displays etc for my fridge monitor already. :smile:

Lastly. I don’t work for them or get any commission. I am simply a happy customer.

4 Likes

Nice work @v8dave! :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks @v8dave for sharing. This looks neat. The free version looks fairly capable.
If you get a chance, would you be able to put a quick startup demo for people like me who would otherwise need quite sometime to ramp up. Thanks in advance.

Check out the tutorial videos for the DGLUX part.

As for the Mango side itself, getting it up and running is easy.

The main thing is to create some data points that you can populate with an HTTP command. You can add and delete at any time.

Create a data source first. Choose HTTP Receiver from the drop down list and give it a name. This is then used to bind to the data points.

Add a whitelist ID for it… Any name you like. This is what you will use to accept the connection over HTTP. Don’t make this public otherwise anyone can send commands to your system. :smile:

Now save and go add data points.

After this, just use and HTTP request like this. You can test from the browser.

http://yourdomain.com:8080//httpds?__device=whitelistid&sensor1=232.3&sensor2=333.0

Default port is 8080 but you can change this in Mango.

whitelistid is the name you used when you setup the source.

Sensor1 and sensor2 are the names you gave to the datapoints for the HTTP part of the setup.

The setup also has an HTTP retriever which can be used to get the JSON data for published variables etc. I’ve not tried this yet but it is on the list of things to do. :smile:

I am a bit busy with work right now but I will try to get some time to put something up on my blog along with some screenshots but in the meantime, check out the Tutorials as they really do help to get things going.

1 Like

Checked the web-site, looks very good… Only, the interface part, DGLux, is only free for 30-days…
So I assume, after 30 days, you loose the front-end of the system… Or am I missing something?
Cheers,
Luc

Hi Luc, damn, I just checked that out and I didn’t see that before. I may have to bite the bullet and pay the $400 which, considering the cost for other SCADA systems I have used, it does represent very good value. I use a commercial SCADA system for oil well monitoring and that costs upwards of $10K :smile:

Thanks @v8dave for taking the time out and documenting these steps. I only got a chance to try it today.
For the application I have, I need a mechanism to log temperature sensor outputs from freezers overtime. HTTP retriever with Mango works for this. It would be nice if I can integrate logic and control like sending an email if the temperature rises above a threshold. I am sure there must be a way to do it and I just have to figure out. The frontend, DGLux, is slick but I am not too disappointed with it going away after a month with free version.

What I haven’t been able to do yet is HTTP POST request. Can you elaborate on how I can access spark functions through Mango?

Glad to see you got something working.

There is a simplified graphics interface for Mango but nowhere near as nice as the DGLUX. Now that I think about it, it’s a shame that DGLUX is not included. $400 is not much when you consider things like Homeseer for home automation is about the same when you have all the interfaces but it is out of a lot of peoples range. :frowning:

I’ll try and dig out some code for the HTTP request and post it up when I have some more time.