New! Device Details and Device Groups

Device Details

New in the Console! The new device details view is your centralized command center for your Particle device. Use new debugging tools to rapidly iterate as you build your IoT solution. Or, quickly check in on a deployed device in the field.

Simply click on a device in your Console’s device list to access this view.

Some of the things you can now do on the device details view:

• See a filtered stream of events sent from and delivered to the device
  • Call functions and check variables that have been defined in the device’s application firmware
  • Update device details like its name, owner, firmware version, and more

Device Groups

Device details in the Console was launched as part of a major release to the Particle platform. In addition, Device Groups was made available to Enterprise product creators in private beta.

Device groups allow for more fine-grained control of an IoT fleet at large scales. Specifically, groups add additional flexibility to the firmware release process. As an example, you may want to send “bleeding-edge” firmware for early testing to a beta group of devices. Or, you may operate globally and require devices to behave differently depending on where in the world they are deployed.

Groups can also be used simply as an organizational tool, to help you tag and sort devices by location, lifecycle state, and more.

For more information, you can check out the guide on Device Groups. If you are interested in this feature, please contact our sales team.

10 Likes

Hi,
I got the post from Particle this morning regarding the highly anticipated filtered data stream for devices. Unfortunately, when I clicked on the “Try it Out” link, my default browser Firefox displayed the Devices where nothing happened after I clicked on an active device. Except the spinning wheel of course. Then I remembered Firefox had removed Java support in Firefox 52. See resource note from Java:

Firefox 52 and Above

Beginning with Firefox 52 (released March 2017), plug-in support is limited to Adobe Flash, and drops support for NPAPI, impacting plugins for Java, Silverlight, and other similar NPAPI based plugins.

You will need to use a Java “friendly” browser such as Chrome, IE, or Safari.
Regards

@jeiden,

I am using the new device console and loving it. Great work!

One issue I noticed was that using this view will show events for a specific device but, not web hook responses. If my particle subscribes to a web hook response and the device initiates the response with a web hook publish, could we include the response in this view? As it is now, I need to go to the non-device specific events tab to see the responses.

Thanks,

Chip

1 Like

We are just trying to launch a product on the Particle platform. Only today am I figuring out that I can only rollout a new firmware version to all devices in a Product. Since we have alpha devices, beta devices, and now a handful of production devices. It’s important that our API knows which Particle Product our devices are a part of so we had been putting all the devices in the same product but that doesn’t work well because we’d need to rollout firmware to all of them. Device groups seems the appropriate way to handle this. If we have a breaking change of a product for firmware we would like to rollout the new firmware to only devices that have that new change. Is this feature always going to be limited to Enterprise only? There is a huge distance between launching on the platform and being an Enterprise customer but that doesn’t make the feature any less valuable for those of us just getting started. How are we supposed to manage this situation?

1 Like

@rvinci - Thanks for the ping on Firefox, we’ll investigate this

@chipmc - Good observation. Currently, the way our events system works will not add the integration response events to a stream filtered to a device. You’ll have to use the main Events page to monitor integrations firing.

@incorvia - I would encourage you to talk to our sales team for access to the device groups beta! There are no immediate plans to make this feature available to self-service folks at this time.

1 Like

@jeiden,

What is the threshold for being a “self-service” member? I’m very confused without device groups how a paying customer with a growing fleet of products is supposed to manage firmware versions across product iterations. Can someone please explain how we are supposed to do this?

Edit: I was told by customer service that only above $1799 a month is considered enterprise, everything else is considered self service. My question still stands. Can someone please explain how we are supposed to manage this? How is a product launching on your platform supposed to manage firmware versions across product iterations as it develops and scales into a product that could someday be enterprise but isn’t yet? Here is my use case. We build a version that maybe we call v1. We launch that product and get 1000 devices into the wild (which is no small feat). We then launch v2 with a few small but subtle breaking changes. This is the same product just a new iteration so all the devices so into the same Product in Particle.io’s console. Now we have 2 different appliances that need to manage their firmware upgrades differently… v1 needs a bug fix , v2 needs a firmware update. We can’t lock v1 to a certain build… 1000 devices need to be updated. Can someone suggest how to deal with this?

1 Like

Hi there @incorvia,

To answer your question about the distinction between enterprise and self-service, I’d encourage you to check out the pricing on our website. It describes the pricing plans in detail. When I say enterprise, I mean that you have contacted Particle and worked with our sales team for a custom pricing plan optimized for professional deployments in production. As an enterprise/production customer, you are given certain additional benefits, currently including device grouping.

Hope this helps,

Jeff