Mystery Photon LED colors and patterns (resolved)

I’ve been trying to set up a new Photon for the better part of a day now with no luck.
On the way, I’ve encountered the following mystery LED messages:

• flashing green and white: “bug. Sometimes the device can get stuck due to a bug in the WICED libraries when the DCT area becomes corrupted”
  • breathing magenta - “Breathing magenta is Safe Mode. It means the system is running, but there is no application to run.”

What do these mean?

Previous to breathing magenta it was blinking cyan, which I assume means the current issue has something to do with not being able to connect to the cloud.

Are you using the Mobile App or Particle-CLI?

What was the error message if any?

Particle CLI, last messages were:

Thanks! Wait while I save those credentials...

Done! Your device should now restart.

I guess you were using particle setup?

So after that, it went from flashing white to flashing cyan?

Breathing magenta means it connected to the :cloud: but no user firmware running.

You can attempt to flash an empty app and it should trigger a system update --> blinking magenta

1 Like

Thanks, will give that a try!

Woot! That worked! Megathanks!

1 Like

Breathing magenta is Safe Mode. It means the system is running, but there is no application to run.

Great! What does white-green blinking mean?

That’s a bug. Sometimes the device can get stuck due to a bug in the WICED libraries when the DCT area becomes corrupted. Hopefully that’s not happening for you now you’ve updated to 0.4.2?

Not anymore so far, but where can I check my version?

It’s not so straightforward right now. Thats a good idea for us to add for the upcoming release!

2 Likes

Found this in the web IDE under settings: You are building with SPARK FIRMWARE V0.3.4 (OCT 21)
If that’s it, I guess I should still be updating something. If that’s not it, I’m happy anyway because things are still working so far…

@spongefile, that version only applies to the Core. If your Photon is working well then there’s no issues for you :wink:

1 Like

Hi, I am sure my photon is running latest version, and I am running my own application in photon and after few hours I observed my application stopped and photon in state of solid white LED color, any idea what it means ?