I am using a P1 in a PCB that we have designed in-house.
I have recently started updating our fleet from Particle OS 0.6.3 to 1.4.4.
Does anyone have experience with a failed OS upgrade that causes listening mode to fail in safe mode?
There are 2 instances where the user has lost power before the upgrade process has been fully completed. This has resulted in an almost entire loss of system control (listening mode included).
I have placed the boards in safe mode so that I could attempt another flash but have lost the ability to connect to WiFi.
Things we’ve tried
- Safe mode: The user is able to place the board in safe mode (breathing magenta)
- Listening mode (in safe mode): The user is unable to initiate listening mode, setup button is non-responsive (blinking blue)
Things we’ve discovered
- When entering safe mode, the LED goes straight to magenta and does not cycle through the typical green -> cyan cycle before fully landing in safe mode.
- From safe mode we cannot seem to enter listening mode (holding the setup button for ~3 seconds). It stays magenta the entire time and does not respond when setup is pressed.
- Reset does pull the unit out of safe mode and back into the critically impacted OS.
Things we are going to try
- DFU mode: I will receive these boards in the coming weeks and will perform a serial recovery process.
- Is there anything I can try to allow me to recover from this broken safe-mode state in the field?