Library Porting Help

Need help with this one:

I’m guessing it isn’t hard, but it seems above my pay grade at the moment. I’ve had pretty good luck with libraries like these having already been ported and contributed, but this one doesn’t appear to have been done yet. Anyone mind giving it a quick poke that’s done some of these before?

Much thanks.


This seems straight forward.
You should be able to take the library as is, just remove the line reading

#include <../Adafruit_NeoPixel/Adafruit_NeoPixel.h>

and import the ported neopixel library instead.

Then see what happens.

Well, shoot. I feel dumb. I actually did that much on my own. Problem was I was also trying to follow the Particle docs on contributing the library and either those docs are bad or I did something wrong (seems maybe the latter). But either way, the resulting errors were somewhat overwhelming and looked like a further porting problem. I literally just decided to get back to simple and copy the .h and .cpp file from the library into my src directory and did the compile and it worked first shot.

So now I need to go back and try to work through the doc on contributing the library and see if I can make that part happen, too, I guess. I feel like there’s something not right about that “mylib” part of the docs, though.


Contributing a library is really not that difficult when using CLI

  1. particle library create (you must choose a unique name - you cannot upload a library when the name is already taken - even by someone else’s private library)
  2. place code in respective files as needed
  3. add info in file (if possible provide a GitHub repository in the repository and url properties)
  4. particle library upload from the directory where the file resides - to have a private library
  5. test your private library
  6. when done make the library public via particle library publish (also from the same place as you uploaded before)

Well, I believe I’ve made it happen. Library created, tested, published. Thanks for all the help!

It’s called Seven_Segment_Pixel, same as the original author. It’s been at 1.0.0 for three years now, so it’s probably pretty stable. It’s running fine in with one of the test examples using a single string of neopixels with four to a segment. Working on some generic stuff to make it possible to retro old giant gym scoreboards (Daktronics and the like) to LED and modern hardware. Replacing bulbs with LEDs on the old hardware can generally work, but that hardware is all really annoying and expensive to work on if it has any other problems.

Thanks for the help!



This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.