Is it possible for the Photon or Core to act as a web server?

I have been thinking here lately about the capabilities of the Photon (I own a few Cores) and an idea came to mind to see if it possible. A proof of concept, more or less.

Could a (possibly polymorphic) function be written that listens for GET requests and certain parameters, then parses a return string that contains an entire web page? The command switches could customize what exactly is sent and it would only contain a very simple web page.

Since the Particle API handles HTTP parsing, that would take some of the load off of the Photon, right?

Is this a possibility? Is it ill-advised or are there inherent issues with using it like this? What would be the likely difficulties with such a usage?

In the past, I’ve written a page on a particular device and then embedded the API calls with script blocks to populate info when a request is made, so, I know it works in that sense. I don’t need it to work one particular way or the other, I’m just wanting to see if it was possible and how it might be done.

Thanks!

There is this webserver library…
https://build.particle.io/libs/WebServer/0.0.2/tab/WebServer.cpp

1 Like