Industrial Sensors + Electron / Eseries

Hello folks! :wave:

I have been tinkering around with Particle devices and a couple of sensors on a maker level since a few years ago. Now I’m working on an industrial level POC and I would like to share with you the architecture to be implemented as well as the sensors that I have found appropriate for integration (based on the project needs) in order to confirm with you the sensors compatibility with the Electron/Eseries.

As you can see in the diagram above, the project seeks to monitor different variables in the workflow of a power generation plant. The idea is to use the following sensors to monitor these variables:

I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions you may have on this matter. Also, if you found more appropriate another device, I would love to give them a look. :wink:

I’m really excited about what will come out of all this!

Cheers,
Maria H.

Hi @mariahernandez

Good to see you in the Particle forum :slight_smile:

I do not have much experience in the gas and flow sensors at industrial level, but am willing to look into it f you can give me some more information.

I might be able to give some input with these. What voltages and current do you require. I have extensively looked at external vs internal current sensors and always went back to the Internal sensors for various reasons. There are some design challenges of course, but it is worth th while at the end.

Regards,
Friedl.

Hello @friedl_1977!

What a great welcome! I’m happy to be around, and even happier to be working on product development again. :smile:

I’m sure you’ll be able to give me some valuable inputs after the developments you’ve been making. The system will be handling currents between 0 - 30 A, and voltages between 0 - 220 V.

All the best,
Maria H.

1 Like

Hi @mariahernandez -

You are welcome :slight_smile:

I understand 100%... I am at my happiest when working with hardware.

I have been using the Alegro ACS722 with very good success. You can have a look at this project. Using a Recom encapsulated PSU, I could use the same current being monitored to also power the device. This way I have fewer wires by eliminating the need for external sensors to PSU's. Of course there are some design restrictions if you are going to design a PCB capable of handling 30A, but that is part of the challenges I enjoy.

The PCB's as per the project, have been tested up to 18A and 240V using 3oz copper for the 240V traces. The pricing actually becomes very efficient if you can order ±50 PCB's even with heavier copper weight on the high voltage traces. On smaller QTY's (10) 3oz or 4oz can be more expensive, but still worth not having external sensors and wires.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Friedl.

Hey @friedl_1977,

The post is incredible, this will be very useful for the design. I really appreciate your suggestions, thank you very much.

Working with hardware is the challenge we all enjoy.

If I have any questions, I’ll be asking you!

Good to hear from you again. A hug from Medellin.

Greetings,
Maria H.

1 Like

Hi -

Glad I could help :slight_smile:

This was the first version of the unit, I will improve on the design, adding some capacitors, diodes and maybe more sensor inputs, just in case. I am also looking at maybe using the B523 in future, but it will require a complete redesign of the PCB.

I will also be designing and adding sensors soon that can work with this “base unit”, first will be a water level indicator. I hope to sign up a client soon that will require multiple units so I will be in touch about Ubidots dashboard for them. Only catch is they will be requiring scheduling function :thinking:

Enjoy the rest of your day!
Regards, Friedl.

Hi @mariahernandez

How is your product coming along? I will be making several improvements to my design if this particular product now that the POC has been established :slight_smile:

Regards, Friedl:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.