How to include libraries not in the IDE?

Hi all.

I wanted to include a library that I found here on the Spark community, but I am not exactly sure how to do it.
IT does not exist in the IDE libraries, and I am unsure how to add it then. Any guidance will be highly appreciated, I just received my Spark Core the other day. The library in question is the following port of Adafruit TFT:

@Pl0xd, the only way to include the library is to create the necessary tabs in the IDE and cut&past the code from each file into the tabs. This library was published back in March and I would like to take a look at it since I have some cheap ILI9341 displays I could test it on. If it works well, I’ll do two things - 1) Change the GFX library to my mfGFX multi-font (user definable) version and 2) Prepare and publish it on the IDE.

In the meantime, if you don’t want to wait, you can also use the Spark CLI for compiling your code. It is super easy and works really well since all you have to do is put ALL the files in a directory and compile the directory! :smile:

@peekay123 , I wouldn’t mind waiting at all. I am not in a hurry at the moment, and would love to see what you could come up with. I am sure it would help others as well if you are able to create a new library for the Web IDE. I will wait and see when you release anything. Can you give me a nudge when you’re done or if you decide not to do it after all?

Adding on to @peekay123’s reply,

you can add in files via Web IDE with this button if you don’t mind the hassle for many files:

I strongly recommend the Spark-CLI and it doesn’t take too much effort to get it working!

@Pl0xd, I noticed that this library is for parallel interface displays so it uses a LOT of pins (13) on the Core! Are you sure you want to use it?

@peekay123 , Yea I noticed that it will be using quite a lot of pins, but I am not sure which library I could be using instead? I did a search and this was the only library I could find for my kind of display. It does leave a few analog pins for some extra stuff though.

@Pl0xd, do you have the LCD already and if so, which model (link to page)?

@peekay123 , I have one of these but I think it should be working. However, if you have any suggestions for other/easier displays to use then I am open for suggestions. I do not mind purchasing a new display.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161286318553?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

@Pl0xd, my first question should have been what are you using the display/Spark for? Do you need touch screen? What do you expect to display and at what refresh rate?

@peekay123 Well there is actually two things I would like to be working on.

1. The display should be showing some text that I get from a webpage.every minute or two.
  2. The display should be showing images.

The second thing is a low priority idea of mine, and I would like to complete the first one. Would an OLED display be fine for this?

The touch screen is not necessary and would only be a bonus.

@Pl0xd, I just finished porting a library for this Adafruit OLED display for another member. Digole also makes this OLED display which will work with serial, I2C and SPI plus we have a great library for it. You could also use a text-only LCD or OLED display in 2x16 or 4x20 character format.

The Core has RAM limitations, even though soon to be released updates will address that. Pictures can require a lot of processing which in turn takes up RAM. You will have to supply more details on #2 to see if it is feasible. :smile:

@peekay123 Thank you very much for the clear reply! I will look into the Digole OLED Display and see about ordering it. I think that is the one I will be needing. Hopefully they ship to Europe. I already have a character only display in 2x16, but I would like to try and expand a little.

Regarding the images, it is merely an idea and not something I am working on right now. I might create a specific topic for just if I decide on making something with it.

What is the library for the Digole display called?