How can I use/port the TMC stepper driver library?

[SOLVED]

Hi -

I am trying to add the following library but to no avail :confused:

I created a library using the CL|. This yield the following which makes me think I am on the right track :slight_smile:

As you can see, I have tried adding it before recreating it here, but no luck. After creating it again, I copy the files from the library on my computer into the corresponding directories, but when trying particle library add TMC5160 I get the following error:

Library TMC5160 not found

Would appreciate the help.

Thanks!
Friedl.

Hi -

I managed to successfully (I think) import the TMCStepper library and include it in my project. However, when compiling a sample code sketch from the library, I receive a couple of errors as per the image attached. This same sketch complies successfully in Arduino IDE though.

Below is the code and a screen grab of the errors.

#include <TMCStepper.h>

#define EN_PIN           6 // Enable
#define DIR_PIN          5 // Direction
#define STEP_PIN       4 // Step
#define CS_PIN             A2// Chip select
#define SW_MOSI          A5 // Software Master Out Slave In (MOSI)
#define SW_MISO          A4 // Software Master In Slave Out (MISO)
#define SW_SCK           A3 // Software Slave Clock (SCK)
     //#define SW_RX            63 // TMC2208/TMC2224 SoftwareSerial receive pin
     //#define SW_TX            40 // TMC2208/TMC2224 SoftwareSerial transmit pin
     //#define SERIAL_PORT Serial1 // TMC2208/TMC2224 HardwareSerial port
     //#define DRIVER_ADDRESS 0b00 // TMC2209 Driver address according to MS1 and MS2

#define R_SENSE 0.11f // Match to your driver
                      // SilentStepStick series use 0.11
                      // UltiMachine Einsy and Archim2 boards use 0.2
                      // Panucatt BSD2660 uses 0.1
                      // Watterott TMC5160 uses 0.075

// Select your stepper driver type
     //TMC2130Stepper driver(CS_PIN, R_SENSE);                           // Hardware SPI
     //TMC2130Stepper driver(CS_PIN, R_SENSE, SW_MOSI, SW_MISO, SW_SCK); // Software SPI
     //TMC2660Stepper driver(CS_PIN, R_SENSE);                           // Hardware SPI
     //TMC2660Stepper driver(CS_PIN, R_SENSE, SW_MOSI, SW_MISO, SW_SCK);
     //TMC5160Stepper driver(CS_PIN, R_SENSE);
TMC5160Stepper driver(CS_PIN, R_SENSE, SW_MOSI, SW_MISO, SW_SCK);

//TMC2208Stepper driver(&SERIAL_PORT, R_SENSE);                     // Hardware Serial
     //TMC2208Stepper driver(SW_RX, SW_TX, R_SENSE);                     // Software serial
     //TMC2209Stepper driver(&SERIAL_PORT, R_SENSE, DRIVER_ADDRESS);
     //TMC2209Stepper driver(SW_RX, SW_TX, R_SENSE, DRIVER_ADDRESS);

void setup() {
  pinMode(EN_PIN, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(STEP_PIN, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(DIR_PIN, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(EN_PIN, LOW);      // Enable driver in hardware

// Enable one according to your setup
SPI.begin();                    // SPI drivers
     //SERIAL_PORT.begin(115200);      // HW UART drivers
     //driver.beginSerial(115200);     // SW UART drivers

driver.begin();                 //  SPI: Init CS pins and possible SW SPI pins
                                  // UART: Init SW UART (if selected) with default 115200 baudrate
  driver.toff(5);                 // Enables driver in software
  driver.rms_current(600);        // Set motor RMS current
  driver.microsteps(16);          // Set microsteps to 1/16th

//driver.en_pwm_mode(true);       // Toggle stealthChop on TMC2130/2160/5130/5160
     //driver.en_spreadCycle(false);   // Toggle spreadCycle on TMC2208/2209/2224
  driver.pwm_autoscale(true);     // Needed for stealthChop
}

bool shaft = false;

void loop() {
  // Run 5000 steps and switch direction in software
  for (uint16_t i = 5000; i>0; i--) {
    digitalWrite(STEP_PIN, HIGH);
    delayMicroseconds(160);
    digitalWrite(STEP_PIN, LOW);
    delayMicroseconds(160);
  }
  shaft = !shaft;
  driver.shaft(shaft);
}

Have you included Particle.h in the TMC library?

Since the library is not public in the Particle library repository but contains loads of files it’s not that easy to debug your issue with Web IDE.
Maybe Workbench would be better.

2 Likes

Hi ScruffR.

Have you included Particle.h in the TMC library?

I have not. I downloaded the library from Github and then uploaded as is. My first time having to import a library so had some difficulties along the way :see_no_evil:

I was not aware I had to include anything else as art is quite and extensive library. I am using the TMC2808 drivers at present without any libraries, but need ton upgrade to TMC5160 and seems due to SPI the library is needed.

I will try with Workbench even though I am not very familiar with it. I would still like to get the library working on Web IDE tough in order to be able to use OTA in future on this project as apposed to updating via USB all the time. I also tink there might be more people that could benefit from this library, or am I maybe the only one trying to drive stepper motors with Particle :smile:

Thanks for the tip.

Regards,
Friedl.

Workbench is also capable of OTA updates.

Nope, you are not, but most stepper drivers don't really need that kind of elaborate libraries :wink:

BTW, I moved this discussion out of the other thread as it has diverted from the original topic.

HI ScruffR -

I worked with Workbench a bit more and notice the cloud compile and flash. Apologies for the lack of knowledge, still learning and seems like a lot to take in in small amount of time, but doing my best :nerd_face:

When compiling Workbench seems to present the same error even though the library is successfully imported in Workbench. adding it to Workbench seemed easy enough, so doubt I made a mistake there. These drivers seems to be a headache :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like