Thank you for starting this thread. This is not a pithy business quote but comes close to the spirit of this thread.
There is a mythical beast called a “10x Coder” that a Venture Capitalist called Shekar Kirani said should be at the heart of successful startups in a series of Tweets that started quite a stir:
My day job company, Red Hat, recently created a podcast on this topic that is worth a listen:
We are all busy so, here is the net of what I got out of it:
- They 10x Coder / Engineer is a real thing
- 10x coders can change the world when they bring their visions to reality (PayPal, Mozilla, Apple, etc)
- However, there can be a significant organizational cost to these folks that can outweigh their benefit
- Modern engineering is a team sport so the tide is shifting to high-performing teams of 1x coders producing secure, scalable and maintainable code.
and - finally since I am most certainly a < 1x coder
- Even a < 1x coder if properly focused and motivated can change the world. So, there is hope for all of us
Hope you find this interesting. Anyone know any good examples of 10x coders?