Having a customer claim my Electron product

Hello all,

I’m working on a proof of concept at my company that involves creating a Product from Electrons and giving them to a couple of families (customers). I’ve been reading through the documentation and I’m totally on board with using any of the three different authentication methods and using the JavaScript SDK to do things like creating a login for a new customer and having them claim a device…sort of!

Here’s my question. So I’ve noticed that the only method that the SDK has in order to claim a device for a customer requires providing the really long device ID of the Electron that they are trying to claim. Does that mean that I will have to give my customers the 24 character long device ID along with the Electron and then have them type that in on my app for simple authentication? I see that you can use a claim code for OAuth2.0 but what about simple?

I apologize if this is a silly question but I really want to make sure I’m using the SDK to provide the best user experience for our customers.

Any advice is much appreciated!

1 Like

While I can’t answer your actual question, there might be a way to save your customers some hassle if the device ID was required.
Just print out a QR tag for customers to scan with their mobile device and let them claim via a simple web app.
QR scanner apps are abundantly available and rather well known even with less techy folks.

1 Like

Thanks for that! I was thinking about using QR codes too! :smile: