Trying to debug a project that appears to be unresponsive when I arrive at my workbench after being away for several days.
The main problem that I’m having in doing so is that I can’t access the serial monitor of my Electron when my device is in this state.
All I get is “Device descriptor request failed” as shown here:
The Electron appears to be doing its’
connecting to the internet dance (i.e. flashing lights of all the expected colours).
device came online event will be published if I have that device’s event fire hose open in Particle Console, as shown here:
I have observed this behaviour ever since I started using the Particle development ecosystem (over a year ago), and have so far just assumed that it was my PC’s fault… but now that I have a stable firmware project built (many devices go for weeks on end without requiring intervention), I am starting to think that this bug is not due to my own code, but instead due to some bug or quirk in spark firmware.
I have noticed that the USB serial monitor hangs/stops working often during the Electron’s process of connecting to the cellular network and/or Particle servers. Most of the time I can just unplug and plug back in the USB cable and the serial monitor connection will be resurrected (via Teraterm). Other times this happens.
The only way to recover from this that I have found is to press the
RESET button on my Electron, which is useless because then the Electron is back at square 1 and any useful information I was hoping to gather via the serial monitor is now long gone.
FYI I am using Spark firmware version 0.6.1