Dead Argon DFU not working

Argon can no longer be set to DFU mode. I hold the mode then press reset. It will flash magenta and I continue to Hold mode till it flashes yellow. I then release the mode button. It will flash yellow for ~4 seconds then rapid flash white. From there it will blink blue. When I press reset the USB will go offline and not be recognized until it starts to blink blue. Normally in DFU mode when yellow it will be recognized as a USB device. Without DFU mode none of the particle cli commands work.

I have a particle debugger but that also requires DFU mode. Also the debugger commands error out no able to find scripts…

C:\Users\jbirn\.particle\toolchains\openocd\0.11.2-adhoc6ea4372.0\bin>openocd.exe -f share/openocd/scripts/interface/cmsis-dap.cfg -f share/openocd/scripts/target/nrf52-particle.cfg -c "adapter_khz 1000" -c "transport select swd" -c "init" -c "soft_reset_halt" -c "nrf5 mass_erase" -c "flash write_image /Users/jbirn/Downloads/argon.hex" -c "reset" -c "exit"
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0+dev-00920-g6ea43726 (2019-07-02-23:12)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
        http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
embedded:startup.tcl:26: Error: Can't find share/openocd/scripts/interface/cmsis-dap.cfg
in procedure 'script'
at file "embedded:startup.tcl", line 26

In the particle app when I try to setup a new argon it will see the device and my WiFi network. After entering the wifi PW it will breath white for a bit then blink blue again. It will error out stating not able to obtain an IP address.

Is it dead? These things seem fragile compared to ESP32’s.

Hi Jason-

Can you run the device doctor and share the logs (or the error message if it doesn’t get that far)?

This is as far as it gets on the web version of the device doctor. It hangs at the message below and the device blinks blue. Never goes into DFU mode.

Waiting for the device to finish updating itself and restart…

This will take several seconds, and the status LED may blink yellow, white, magenta (red and blue at the same time), blue, or green.

Device information

Is the device claimed to my account? :x: No

Is the device in a product I have access to?
:x: No

Device information retrieved from the cloud:

This is the error I get in the CLI command. I press continue when the Argon flashes yellow but the USB is not active.

PS C:\Users\jbirn> particle doctor
The Device Doctor will put your device back into a healthy state
It will:
  - Upgrade system firmware
  - Flash the default Tinker app
  - Reset the device and server keys
  - Clear the Wi-Fi settings

The Doctor will operate on your Argon connected over USB

PLEASE DISCONNECT ALL OTHER DEVICES BEFORE PROCEEDING

You'll be asked to put your device in DFU mode several times to reset different settings.

Updating system firmware

Put the device in DFU mode
Tap RESET/RST while holding MODE/SETUP until the device blinks yellow.
? Select Continue when ready Continue
! An error occured while opening the device:

Error: No devices found

> Please check that the device is connected to the computer via USB.
> If the device is connected, switching it into DFU mode may help.

> You can also visit our community forums for help with this error:
https://community.particle.io/

PS C:\Users\jbirn>

I’m pretty sure this is a hardware problem. In this argon where it will not enter dfu mode I’m measuring 2.8 ohms on the short side of the mode switch. Then when pressed goes to .4 ohms. On a working argon the measurement is 3.1Mohms then .4 ohms when pressed. Not sure what I did to kill it. Was using a DS18B20 on pin 3 and attempted to load the compiled example firmware to it. Oh well.

Did you include a pullup resistor on the data pin? The library readme recommends a 4.7 kΩ resistor. A 3.3 kΩ may be better for the 3.3V source.

I have used this library with the Boron & Argon but have not used the example as is. There seems to be a discrepancy between the readme and the example code. I think the line below, from the readme, should be "Signal to D3".

Wiring: Power to 3.3/5V GND to GND Signal to D2 (with 4.7k pullup resistor)

I would recommend changing your firmware example by commenting out D2 & D4 references then changing other code to suit:

//const int16_t dsVCC  = D2;
const int16_t dsData = D3;
//const int16_t dsGND  = D4;

Also, do not connect VCC to pin D2 or GND to D4 in your trial circuit.

Yes I used a 4.7k pull-up to 3.3V for the DO pin of the DS18B20 and commented out the lines you have shown prior to loading the example.

Something happened with this argon on the mode pin circuit.

Opened up a new argon, installed it into the NCD board I have and it worked fine.

The first argon is dead.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.