Community site in read-only mode today Wednesday 3 - 4pm CST

Hi there folks,

I wanted to give folks a quick heads up that I will be migrating this community site to bigger, better cloud infrastructure in about an hour (Wednesday 3 - 4pm CST). Though there is not any expected downtime, the site will be in read-only mode, which means you won’t be able to respond to topics or create new posts while the data is being copied and transferred to the new setup. Additionally, depending on where you are (on the planet), you may see some quirky behavior for a few hours after the migration as DNS changes propagate.

I’m really sorry for the interruption here and I’m hopeful that it will be the last disruption to this site for a long long time --our new setup makes zero-downtime upgrades and scaling possible.

If you have any questions or notice anything amiss, don’t hesitate to email me at (joe at spark dot io) or hello@spark.io.

Thanks,

-joe

2 Likes

Sweeeet. I think we’re good to go! Again, sorry for the interruption folks, the last thing I want to do is get in the way y’alls hacking, chatting, and other crazy things you do here, :smile:

This site is now up on beefier hardware using the latest and greatest Discourse Docker-style deployment approach (if you’re into cool cloud technology, you should totally check out Docker, it’s amazing!).

Happy Hacking!

5 Likes

Should my browser be smoking now???

:wink:

Wait… You put the whole forum into read-only mode instead of trying to set up database replication?!

Good! Smart man. It would take weeks to figure out that replication junk. :wink:

1 Like

You killed our little :spark: emoticon-thingy, how could you :cry:?!

Give it back ;(!

(I’m not sure why it doesn’t work anymore. IE11 won’t show it, which isn’t all that spectacular, because well, it’s IE… But Chrome doesn’t either, nor does Opera. It’s not like it’s the end of the world or anything, but I want them back nonetheless, so I thought I’d let you know :stuck_out_tongue:)

Awesome job at the new website by the way, I appreciate how much effort you guys put into this whole thing!

3 Likes

For sure, most browsers can't handle the vast quantities of cloud that have been doled on this site--be careful your browser doesn't catch fire! :smiley:

That, my friend, is borderline criminal! Thanks for letting us know. I'll get that :spark: guy restored!

1 Like