Coming from Arduino IDE, trying to get tabs in Particle Dev

So I’m new to this ecosystem and so far its been a little rocky but I’m managing to get everything working so far after some trial and error (And a lot of googling)

I have a photon and an electron. I got the photon to develop apps on for the electron since I know cloud flashing is way less annoying.

I am using the desktop IDE (Particle Dev?) and I want to know if there is an easy way to achieve the same tab effect that the arduino IDE has. Where I can just make arbitrary tabs and paste my code on them and when you compile, it acts like its all on the same original .ino file. I usually use this to segment out a bunch of subroutines and operations, ie:

main ino tab: core program stuff, library includes, variables, etc

display routines tab: drawing routines to draw menus, main windows, bootup screens, etc

communication routines tab: routines to talk to the outside world

debug routines tab: where I can dump all kinds of test code to see why everything is broken
etc, that kind of thing.

It makes writing it a heck of a lot easier for me, and over the years I’ve very much taken it for granted.

But now I’m on this new IDE and ecosystem, and I can’t seem to figure out how to do it. I saw a few posts about making .ccp and .h files, but that seems a bit complicated, especially since I would have to re-call my libraries I might be using? and split different things among each file? Its way too complicated for what I’m trying to do, which is to simply just break up a big page of code into more manageable pages. To the compiler, I just want it to see the tabs as one big .ino file, again, like the arduino IDE.

Is there any way to do this? Thank you!

I’m not aware of a feature like this. Seeing as Dev is based on Atom, you might have better luck asking/looking in that general direction. There might be a package that does what you want it to do.

Alternatively, you could also segment your code with empty spaces, comment blocks and just keep everything in one file/tab.

1 Like

Have you tried the “Split ???” feature when you right click the tab?

Looks good! Not exactly what I was after but honestly, good enough to get the same effect. Thank you!

1 Like

AFAICT opening the same file in multiple tabs on the same pane seemed to be a feature back 2015 but later was considered a bug (for who-knows-what-reason) and hence was removed by the Atom community.