Now, the first time this happened, I was not able to get to the device for a couple weeks. And after a few emails with Rick, I was trying random things and happened to remove the device from it’s product group. Maybe coincidentally, the device suddenly came back online (in that the publishes started coming across the stream again).
The second time I was able to get to the device sooner and after reading this I tried my normal troubleshooting (same as before) but instead of removing the device from the product, I tried re flashing my binary to the device. Boom. it started working again.
So, I’m stuck with maybe two ideas of what could have happened.
A: These were two separate incidents with similar symptoms in which the first magically righted itself and the second was a firmware corruption happened after several weeks of running with no incident.
B: After a device broker issue, a new handshake is required to right whatever wrong happened on the cloud side. Unfortunately the time between handshakes can be a couple weeks (from what I understand).
I am certainly looking at any other ideas on what could have caused this but unfortunately it is near impossible to troubleshoot.
To answer your question, I have a waitfor set for 5 minutes. I probably picked it up from one of your other forum posts.