Cell Connection Timeout

Is there still a requirement by the carrier for a device to communicate at least every 21 minutes.

To extend battery life, my customer wants to communicate with the cell system every hour or when a monitored Boron device operation raises an issue.

Thanks.

The 23 minute requirement is only for cellular standby mode.

If you are using any mode with cellular off the minimum recommended sleep time is 10 minutes, but the maximum is weeks, and that’s only because of the maximum length of the sleep time variable. You can wake up with cellular off, then immediately go back to sleep in under a second, postponing connection to cellular basically forever.

Thanks for quick response. Just to be sure I am correctly advising my customer, the following code is safe using 60 minutes check-in? All the possible scenarios in the Particle documents are a little confusing for a newcomer.

Thanks again
!!!

SystemSleepConfiguration config;
config.mode(SystemSleepMode::ULTRA_LOW_POWER)
.duration(60min);
System.sleep(config);

Yes, that’s safe and quite common, actually.

thanks, I can move on with confidence!!

SystemSleepConfiguration config;
config.mode(SystemSleepMode::ULTRA_LOW_POWER)
.duration(60min)
.analog(CurrentSensorPin, 1500, AnalogInterruptMode::BELOW)
.network(NETWORK_INTERFACE_CELLULAR, SystemSleepNetworkFlag::INACTIVE_STANDBY);
System.sleep(config);

One last question. Will the above code accomplish low power sleep, waking every 60 minutes or if a cloud message is received or if the CurrentSensorPin (A0) goes below 1500 mV.

Thanks in advance!!

That’s the cellular standby case - the maximum sleep duration is 23 minutes from the last publish or keep-alive ping.

When using the mode, the time between wakes is nearly irrelevant in practice because the amount of power used by the cellular modem to maintain the cellular connection is so much larger than the amount of power it takes to wake the nRF52840 (assuming B Series SoM or Boron) to send a keep-alive that waking up every 23 minutes or every hour will have negligible effect on battery life.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.