Can I hardwire setup and reset buttons?

I am looking to implant this device inside my project. If I need to push the reset or setup buttons, I won’t have access. Is there a way to hard wire these?

Also. I am planning on using the photon to run a Neopixel 8x8x3 Matrix and an I2c OLED at the same time. Will that be a problem?
I had planned on using the Arduino Nano, but the it seems that it will not run both at the same time. I think maybe it is running out of ram. I can run the code on my Mega, but not on the nano.
Will that be a problem with the Particle to run both Neopixels and I2c OLED at the same time? Does it have enough ram?

Also, will it still work without having a wifi connection. Such as will it still work like and arduio away from wifi? or must it be connected to wifi to work even if you are not using the cloud?

One last question, my power is from the onboard 5v regulator. Can I use this into VIN?

Thanks in advance

I am looking to implant this device inside my project. If I need to push the reset or setup buttons, I won't have access. Is there a way to hard wire these?

The RST (reset) pin can be accessed to reset the device. See the datasheet. Not sure about the mode button

Will that be a problem with the Particle to run both Neopixels and I2c OLED at the same time? Does it have enough ram?

Not sure. It might depend on how you implement it.

Also, will it still work without having a wifi connection. Such as will it still work like and arduio away from wifi? or must it be connected to wifi to work even if you are not using the cloud?

Yes. Look at the different system modes

One last question, my power is from the onboard 5v regulator. Can I use this into VIN?

Can you elaborate? What does "can I use this into vin" mean? The Photon doesn't have a 5v regulator btw, it's 3.3v

There is a pad on the bottom side of the Photon that can be used to trigger the SETUP button. It’s labeled 26 in this diagram.
https://docs.particle.io/datasheets/photon-datasheet/#recommended-pcb-land-pattern-photon-without-headers-

In system firmware 6.1, you can also mirror the SETUP button to a different GPIO pin, as well.

2 Likes

What I mean is, I can't get both to work at the same time because I don't have enough ram on my Nano. It won't even run the minimum code and work. It works on Mega but I need the small size of the Nano. I think the Nano has 2kb ram compared to the 8kb on the Mega. If I'm reading right the photon has 128kb of ram. Is that correct?

Particle PØ Wi-Fi module
Broadcom BCM43362 Wi-Fi chip
802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
STM32F205RGY6 120Mhz ARM Cortex M3
1MB flash, 128KB RAM

I was powering my Nano through the 5v pin because I only had 5v and it would require more to power it through VIN becuse the regulator needs more. But from what I understand. If I can not power the Particle with 5v to it's 3.3v pin, but I can power the Particle with 5v through the 3.3v pin becuase it will regulate it down to 3.3. Is that correct?

Power to the Photon is supplied via the on-board USB Micro B connector or directly via the VIN pin. If power is supplied directly to the VIN pin, the voltage should be regulated between 3.6VDC and 5.5VDC. When the Photon is powered via the USB port, VIN will output a voltage of approximately 4.8VDC due to a reverse polarity protection series schottky diode between V+ of USB and VIN. When used as an output, the max load on VIN is 1A.

Awesome! Thanks!

If you want to run off 5V you need to feed that via Vin through the onboard 5V->3.3V regulator.

2 Likes

Sorry for re-opening an old thread, but I've been looking through the docs/forum but can't seem to find whether this is a pull-up or pull-down trigger, which is it?

Both SETUP/MODE and RESET are active low. The switches should connect to GND. There’s a pull-up on the lines.

3 Likes