CAN bus library license question

Question
Can Tracker Edge firmware that uses CAN bus functionality be used in a closed source commercial project since it includes an LGPL library automatically?

Background

While going through the docs for Tracker CAN I read this:

This app note uses the Particle CAN library can-mcp25x. The develop version of Tracker Edge firmware and version 9 and later will include this automatically, however you can manually include it in earlier versions if desired.

It is also possible to use MCP_CAN_RK which is a fork of MCP_CAN_lib with some Particle-specific additions. The original version of this application note used that library, and migration instructions are included at the end of this app note.

and this on the MCP_CAN_RK library:

Licensing note: The original library was distributed using the GNU Lesser General Public License, version 2.1. As such, there may be limitations using this with a closed-source commercial project because Particle firmware binaries are statically linked. See this answer for more details.

Highlights

The develop version of Tracker Edge firmware and version 9 and later will include this automatically

there may be limitations using this with a closed-source commercial project because Particle firmware binaries are statically linked

Wrap up

Question: Can Tracker Edge firmware that uses CAN bus functionality be used in a closed source commercial project since it includes this library automatically?

My goal: connect a Tracker Edge with a CAN bus vehicle.

I would like to mention @rickkas7 and @eberseth in case they have some input here, but if you as a reader have experience or opinions about this, please reply below.
Thank you

You should use the the Particle CAN library, can-mcp25x.

The Tracker Edge firmware already includes that library. The necessary changes from MCP_CAN_RK are small, and described here.

The Particle CAN library is MIT licensed so you can use it in closed-source projects.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.