In general, things are going well with my cores now, but last night I ran into a problem with the web based editor/compiler IDE. I had made some edits and was cutting and pasting to and from a local text editor when my project just stopped working: it would seemingly compile and flash to the core, but when run, nothing happened, no serial port, no flashing LEDs, etc.
I tried many debugging ideas including trying other apps on the core (which worked), adding lots of debugging Serial.print statements, a factory reset, etc. but nothing made sense. It was then I noticed a typo in my code that was NOT being reported as an error by the compiler. I started moving intentional syntax errors up through my code until I found that an error on line 1 was reported correctly, but line 2 and below were not being read and compiled. I tried deleting the white space between lines 1 and 2 and retyping some of it, but that didn’t work either.
I then did a select-all on my code, made a new project, and pasted my code back in. This new project then compiled and worked correctly!
I am sure this had something to do with me cutting and pasting from an external editor, but I think everybody should know that if the compiler is not reporting errors, that doesn’t imply things are all OK and new project is worth trying if things don’t make sense.