Breathing Cyan, Wont Flash

My new batch of cores arrived ( yay ) and I am having a heck of a time flashing updates. Core is connected fine but I can only flash about once every 30 times. No red flashes ( which normally indicates I buggered something )

The only anomaly I have noticed is that it does the breathing cyan with a double flash every now and then. Thoughts?

@Herner, did you factory reset/CC3000 update the cores? Will they flash via USB/DFU ok? Have you tried going back to factory/tinker to start with then go from there? :smile:

You nailed it sir with some great suggestions my issue is that I am about to put some prototypes in the field and I am trying to fix it without doing those steps. The core was good so why did it suddenly go whonky? ( My guess is bad code ).

I was able to finally flash it by trying over and over and over ( I am talking a TON of times ). My gut tells me I had some rogue code but I am starting to seriously sweat when my product is in the field.

So if I have units in the field what is the super easy ‘flash it to virgin’ and ‘push good code’? :smile:

@Herner, OTA is definitely affected by your own code so you have to make sure that is not a problem. As for deployment, you can always make the factory default your own app instead of Tinker.

Do you mean via OTA or USB? Did you have to do this with your code running or after Factory Reset? A little clarification on your "process" would be good :smile:

Always enjoy our chats @peekay123 . My skills are as a programmer not a hardware nerd. :slight_smile:

Initially I was setting them up with the spark app and flashing them from the cloud. Now i am setting the chips up ( as of today actually ) using Spark DEV over USB and flashing the code to them.

My concern is when I ship our first prototypes and I manage to compile some bad code and flash the chips how will I re-flash them to get them back to a ‘good state’.

The code that I flashed with last night I have no idea what was wrong with it and honestly I think the problem was it just did not flash correctly. When I flashed the same code to it this morning it plugs right along.

To me the best solution is have an easy way to ‘clear’ the chip and flash GOOD code to it. My product will require updates to the software every 6months or so and that is why I am concerned. I know they will leave my department in good shape but may need ‘tweaks’.

@Herner, this is why unit testing is so critical and why updates take so long to issue - testing! First, OTA will not flash code if it has not been received correctly. Second, it is up to you to make sure code does not prevent OTA! One way to know if your code flashed is to keep a version number in a Spark.variable or via a Spark.function for example. After an OTA you can verify that the new version actually flashed or not. :smile:

1 Like

no question I work as a programmer :slight_smile: Only with the CORE I cant just ‘whoops let me roll that back’ lol.