Boron / Xenon / Argon Carrier for Outdoor Applications

I also updated my PCB design but used the watchdog circuit from that App note. I just ordered another set of PCBAs for my own PCB with this. Since I was making changes, I also added the cap chipmc used for future Solar charging capability. We will see how long the new PCBA takes to arrive. In the meantime as I wait, I’ll be updating my sketch.

1 Like

Finally found out why the 30s power down is the only safe way (no reliable way to reset modem+OS consistent over several OS releases, as it is not directly exposed and keeps changing). So I have to dump the board I already sent off and put in the AB1805.

1 Like

@thrmttnw,

Sorry to hear you need to respin your board.

As discussed earlier in this thread, the TPL5010’s inability to be synchronized with the device’s sleep / wake cycle was an issue for me too. Also, bonus on the pin deprived Boron, you get the “Done” pin back since you “pet” via i2c.

Yes, I have found that while a power reset should be a last resort, it is often the only way to get back to the known good state.

Good luck!

2 Likes

@chipmc - Overall, really nice board layout and I appreciate you sharing! Something to consider for your carrier board layout would be to utilize the PCB real-estate directly underneath the Boron on the PCB. The bulk of the components are small and easily can fit within this “white space” on the PCB. I think it would reduce your costs quite a bit for PCBA if you can keep it single sided for SMT parts. For example, in a different board, I tried to fit most items directly underneath the PCB on the top side of the board and not have anything underneath.

Or was there a driving reason that you placed several components on the underside of the PCB? Just a thought…

2 Likes

@jgskarda,

Good point. Over time, the number of components on my carrier board has steadily gone down. I should take a look if, in the latest design, they will all fit on one side. Great suggestion

The good news is that my assembler, MacroFab, does not seem to charge a premium for having surface mount parts on both sides. Still, worth a look

Thanks,

Chip

1 Like

Oh ok… yeah makes sense. I never priced out a 2 sided board before so wasn’t sure. How do you like MacroFab? I’ve been ordering from PCBWay and I’ve been happy so far. I’m coming in about $10-$15 per board (ordering 10 at a time) and roughly 3 weeks from placing the order to having them in hand. I’ve been soldering the headers and any other through hole components myself but everything else was assembled. I’m sure a lot of it is just personal preference. Mostly interested in the normal lead time from MacroFab. In the past I did OSH Park for PCB only and then PCBWay for assembled.

@all,

I wanted to put a pin in this thread as I think I am going to wrap up development of these boards as I think they generally meet my needs. Not sure what the next step is - perhaps the B-SOM? If so, I will kick off a new thread.

Here is where I ended up on this board. I have had MacroFab produce over 200 of them so far and they are working quite well. The main changes since this thread started:

Here is the Github Repo with the latest EAGLE files: GitHub - chipmc/Particle-Boron-Carrier: New version with improved watchdog

And this is what the board ended up looking like:

IMG_5598 IMG_5599

Thank you all for your help and support on this project. I can’t wait to see what we collectively come up with next.

Thanks,

Chip

8 Likes

Great job Chip. Thanks again for Sharing !

1 Like

Great work Chip!! It’s amazing what you shared here with all of us.

1 Like

Fantastic work @chipmc - very much appreciated in all the time you and the community put in to this. It helps us all! I’d be interested in a B-SOM version. I’m not an expert in PCB layout but happy to help in any way I can. I’ve been curious on when someone should transition from a Boron to B-SOM or what would drive someone to use a B-SOM over a Boron. If there is a specific # of devices or maybe functionality needed? As always, still lots for me to learn… but that’s what makes this fun right?

1 Like

@jgskarda ,

Very good question on the BSOM versus Boron. From my perspective, here are a few reasons:

• Perhaps I want a more optimized power supply optimized for solar or using some other battery chemistry…
  • The BSOM packaging supports a lower-cost and more secure connection between the module and the carrier.
  • Ability to take advantage of European and NA modules with one carrier.

Unfortunately, it does not seem to be cost as my estimate is that the extra complexity of the carrier board would offset the small difference in cost between the Boron and the BSOM. That said, it is possible that enterprise customers with large orders could see a benefit.

Thank you for the words of support.

Chip

1 Like

Great work!

Developing with BSOM, I would stay with Boron unless the 2G3GLTE combo outside US is needed. Or you expect it to take another 6-12 months before hitting the market, and are working with 1000+ unit orders.

The Boron has the external SIM option for those few spots where you really really need it, and a wider choice of OS versions, to find one that is working well with the features you are developing. Both have turned out to be very important.

To get extended coverage with the BSOM, you need an enterprise plan and additional per country negotiation and payments to get the extra carrier(s). I have not been able to get specific pricing without big orders, so no way to know what that would look like. A major disadvantage with BSOM.

1 Like

@thrmttnw ,

Had not thought about the SIM card point - we are using them in one country as well.

Happily sticking with the Boron for now.

Chip

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation guys... I too will stick with the Boron. It seems it does everything I want and need already so no big reason for me to switch as of yet. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Chip,

Do you have units of the board available for purchase?

Regards,

@iarakis ,

Sure, send me a DM and we will see if I can meet your needs.

Thanks, Chip

Hi there. I was wondering if you might still have one of these boards for purchase. Thanks, Andrew

1 Like

@theaddies ,

I am going through a bit of Chipageddon drama on the next production run of the carrier boards. I hope to get this sorted this week and then, yes, I would be glad to sell you one.

The issue is that there is no longer any availability for the AB1805-T3 RTC / Watchdog - globally.

I am pursuing a supply of AM1805AQ devices which @jgskarda identified as a drop-in replacement here:

I will let you know when I have this sorted (hopefully in the next few days).

Thanks,

Chip

1 Like

@chipmc Most times when I ordered from Ambiq directly they came in within a week or so. Sure hope that supply doesn’t dry up as well. Last order was back in January but parts arrived as expected. It’s a bit of a pain, as I have to order from them, then I ship it off to the PCBA place as they were not able to order directly or maybe they just didn’t want to hassle with ordering directly.

1 Like

@jgskarda ,

Helpful, I hope they come through like that for me. I am having them ship straight to my PCBA - MacroFab - and I bought a bunch extra to reduce the chance of future drama.

I will post here if there are issues as the AB1805 is very popular.

Chip

1 Like