Boron secondary I2C

Hello!
Here a support engineer from Nordic states that the nRF52840 is capable of using any GPIO pin for i2c, however particle docs suggest that there is no provision for the Boron to use anything but the single line P0.26 (SDA) and P0.27 (SCL).
Is this a limitation of deviceOS or the board itself?

For context, I am trying to use two LTC2944 in a design, and the LTC2944 does not have any way to change it’s address.

Thanks.

Can’t answer your question about the Boron and using any GPIO for I2C however, my work around for a similar scenario was using MAX4544EUT-T. Basically using 1 extra GPIO PIN to switch the SDA line from one sensor to the other depending on which one you want to read. Work just fine. If you are more in the prototype phase, you could go with something like this: TCA9548A I2C Multiplexer : ID 2717 : $6.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

I went with just the switch as I only had 2 duplicate device to communicate to.

You cannot use the second I2C port on the Boron because it’s used for the PMIC and Fuel Gauge chips by Device OS.

An I2C multiplexer like jgskarda posted, or the TCA9548 work well in your use-case.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.