Boron LTE in the UK

Now there’s NB-IoT (Vodafone) and CAT-M1 (o2) coverage in the UK, will the Boron LTE work? Assuming you need to populate the Nano 4FF and use a Nano SIM Card rather than the built in SIM?

1 Like

Any update from Particle with whats happening with LTE in the UK?

1 Like

Hi Alph.

Through use of a third party SIM in the Boron LTE, both CAT M1 and NB-IoT can be made to work with the Boron LTE. With that said, NB-Iot configurations will need to be enabled as they are disabled by default.

CAT M1 should work with appropriate APN configuration settings.

Particle is still exploring the expansion of our first party CAT M1 network connectivity beyond North America. However, there are no dates set yet as to when we will be exploring CAT M1 LTE in Europe.

1 Like

Thank you @mstanley

Hi All,

Just to let you know I have a Particle Boron working on NB-IOT with a standard 1NCE Sim. This Sim should also allow connection to LTE-M1 but I do not have signal to test yet.
Notes: It takes ages to send AT settings to the modem, If there is a disconnect or sleep the modem seems to forget it is on NB-IOT, OTA updates are intermittant at best.

`//How to setup NB-IOT SIM 
#include "Particle.h"
#include "dct.h"
SYSTEM_MODE(SEMI_AUTOMATIC);

void setup() {
	Cellular.setActiveSim(EXTERNAL_SIM);        //Only need to be done once these values are persistant across flashes
	Cellular.setCredentials("iot.1nce.net");    //Only need to be done once these values are persistant across flashes
  	Particle.keepAlive(30);

// This clears the setup done flag on brand new devices so it won't stay in listening mode
//const uint8_t val = 0x01;
//dct_write_app_data(&val, DCT_SETUP_DONE_OFFSET, 1);

// This is just so you know when the operation is complete
	pinMode(D7, OUTPUT);
	digitalWrite(D7, HIGH);

Cellular.on();
  	Cellular.command("AT+URAT=8\r\n");
  	Cellular.command("AT+COPS=1,2,\"23415\"\r\n"); //The code for Vodafone UK is 23415 but that didn't work initially so I took the first 6 numbers off the IMSI 901405 that worked, but then after this the Vodafone one did, I am sceptical tha the number matters.

digitalWrite(D7, LOW);

Particle.connect();`
}