Alright, 6 hours later. The conclusion is the following:
The firmware, by default, does not set the APN credentials. The best way to do it without making changes to the baseline firmware itself is to run the following after a
Cellular.on() (make sure Cellular is off before this)
I put it in printf format so other folks can insert their own APN information. 2 is the authentication type (in this case CHAP). For
UAUTHREQ the password is before the username. (doesn’t matter for SORACOM in this case)
Also, as you can tell I set up a separate context for the SORACOM APN. Despite this, the device then defaults to CID 1 (for whatever reason). But it connects and authenticates and that’s all that matters!
Also… be sure to clear your credentials. That will muck things up!
(The above technically only needs to be done once)
Also, (one more thing!) make sure your device is in MANUAL or SEMI_AUTOMATIC mode. AUTOMATIC will not work.